Thread: XP limited account problems

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I been having problems setting up a limited user account for my daughter to share my pc, it works no probs on an admin account but with her being just three y/o I'd prefer a limited account so she cant install things I don't want. The problem I'm having is when I log on to her account I get some nasty beep codes coming from my case, the ones u usually get from a booting up error this leads me to believe that because its a ltd account that some driver may not be getting loaded possibly because it was'nt whql certified, some research I did said that that can be a problem.

Anyway does any1 know how I could track back to whats causing the beep problem or is there any software that I could try that makes the process a bit easier that m$?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    A limited account has nothing to do with your drivers, or any software that loads upon booting up.

I would create another limited account and see if the symptoms continue to occur. If not, delete the problem account.

/all I got.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TY for the reply, I've tried deleting the account and starting another but I get same prob it only seems to work as a admin, the reason I was thinking about drivers or software was because when I hover over ltd account in control panel/her user name/change account it says that with a ltd account prorams that have been installed prior to xp may not work properly but I suppose most apps on here would prob have xp drivers installed. I was thinking maybe theres some app that she cant run because of user privelidges thats affecting some hardware?
    Last edited by keyser_soze; 04-18-2006 at 11:53 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The sound could be muted or no sound device selected in the limited user account making it beep at errors instead of playing a sound through the speakers.
    Easiest way to check is probably to see if any sound works at all while in that account (music, games, or whatever).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Sound works through the speakers nps on the limited account, baffling the only other post I've managed to find in a search with a similar problem was corrected by doing a repair of windows with the xp disc but I'm not sure how many changes to other settings this would cause as I've never bothered with a repair at all b4, I usually just wait till lots of things are fecking up then do a clean format.