Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Monitors?

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I was just wondering how complete a dual monitor set up is.

It seems you can get a degree of independance between the when using software but I'd be interested to hear whether it's possible to have seperation when say playing a game on one monitor and using something like a browser or chat program in the other.

For the moment it seems if focus is switched to the non game monitor (say to type a message or enter a url) you're kicked out of the game and back to the desktop (similar to when you alt tab to change focus).

Is it possible to stop this from happening or will this alway be present when using dual monitors?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    It is absolutely possible and quite easy.

I play call of duty on one monitor with Teamspeak and MSN Messenger open on the other. I've been using two monitors for about two years now and I could NEVER go back to just one.

What brand/model is your graphics card? You'll need one with two plugs in the back so you can plug both monitors in. Once that's done, reboot and open Windows Display Properties > settings> and check Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor. Done.

There is a very helpful program called Ultramon which is a great tool for controlling the monitors, and seeing as this is a file-sharing forum, we can probably set you up with that program for free. I have a "friend" who did that.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    But with MSN messenger can you use it whilst playing the game (or pause the game and switch to talking in messenger whilst the game remains paused on the first monitor).

I've got dual monitors set up already (a new TFT and an old CRT) and have a copy of ultramon to do stuff like extend the windows task bar, I'm just trying to perfect the setup (if I can then I'd possibly get a second TFT monitor in the future)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    If you're in a multi-player game, you can just press Ctrl+Esc and your Windows mouse cursor will appear allowing to perform functions outside of the game.

If single-player, then just press pause and do the same thing.

Does that answer your question?

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    or play in windowed mode...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Maybe it's just a problem with me then (or the hardware I'm using)

For the two games I've tried playing whenever I move the mouse into the other window and click on something the game in the other window minimizes to the desktop.

Could this just be a setup error on my part or something else?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Hmm...not sure man. The only computer game I own is Call of Duty and the suggestion I made is what I always do. I figured it would have been the same for all games. Sorry, my expertise in this field ends there.

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Ok well, I do a lot of video editing and I'd like to use a second monitor, when I have my two monitors setup, I can keep my editing software on the one monitor and move different panels of it to my other monitor (like the tool bar or a dockable preview window)

I'd like to be able to watch what I've edited in the preview window in full-screen on a second monitor, so I can drag the preview window to my other monitor. However then I've moved the window from one monitor to another. I have limited space on my desk, so my second monitor isn't right next to the primary one, so that doesn't work. Is there anyway to keep the full editing software interface on one monitor, and then have the full screen video that comes from the preview window displayed on the second monitor?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    Ok well, I do a lot of video editing and I'd like to use a second monitor, when I have my two monitors setup, I can keep my editing software on the one monitor and move different panels of it to my other monitor (like the tool bar or a dockable preview window)

I'd like to be able to watch what I've edited in the preview window in full-screen on a second monitor, so I can drag the preview window to my other monitor. However then I've moved the window from one monitor to another. I have limited space on my desk, so my second monitor isn't right next to the primary one, so that doesn't work. Is there anyway to keep the full editing software interface on one monitor, and then have the full screen video that comes from the preview window displayed on the second monitor?
    I don't know idea wtf you're talking about. It sounds like I'd need to use that program though to know anything at all.

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Ok, well, hard to explain if you aren't running the software

Let's say you have Winamp open and you're watching a video in it, so you have the Winamp screen and the controls (two separate windows). You want both of them on one monitor, but you also want just the video (not the actual window-border) to be displayed in full screen on your second monitor.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast