Thread: Diy Ups

Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Found this little site in my travels,might have a go at this..DIY UPS or not as I'm not that comfortable fooling with electrics,might be handy for some of you more technically minded people though.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Seems an expensive way of going about things.

The cheapest model in APC's Smart-UPS XL range will run a standard PC for at least an hour under normal use, total cost about £250. Add an extra battery back for another £210 and you get almost 4 times as long, far cheaper than buying separate chargers, inverters and batteries.

Obviously a high performance gaming PC under full load (cpu and graphics) won't last as long but the system will cope, something you can't say about home made stuff with any certainty.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

The cheapest model in APC's Smart-UPS XL range will run a standard PC for at least an hour under normal use, total cost about £250. Add an extra battery back for another £210 and you get almost 4 times as long, far cheaper than buying separate chargers, inverters and batteries.

Obviously a high performance gaming PC under full load (cpu and graphics) won't last as long but the system will cope, something you can't say about home made stuff with any certainty.
    The article was from 2001 when UPSes only lasted a few minutes (I didn't know they can last for hours these days...it almost seems worth it now).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

The article was from 2001 when UPSes only lasted a few minutes (I didn't know they can last for hours these days...it almost seems worth it now).
    True I remember my dad had one at his office and that only lasted 3-5min.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Opps didn't look at when the article was written,just liked the guys site,he really go's into stuff.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
    Opps didn't look at when the article was written,just liked the guys site,he really go's into stuff.
    yup, i learned lots from it related an not related to UPSes