Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best firewall?

Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper

Question Mark

Zone Alarm seems to be the most popular but is it that good? (i have sygate myself)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Zone Alarm is good, but I do notice it slows the internet connection down a tad. Most people would prefer the added security though.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I will strongly advice you against sygate. I had sygate pro 5.x my self and in some firewall test (including sygates own test) it had some open ports.
    So my conclusion is that it does not give the best security.
    Right now i use zonealarm pro 6, and it is secure in all the test i tried, and it doesnt slow my pc down.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ‹^› ‹(•Ώ•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, and I LOVE it. I like it so much that my copy isn't pirated, I bought it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I don't like zonealarm and there are lots of reports of it casuign problems with filesharing programs.

Sygate is for advanced users.

I will strongly advice you against sygate. I had sygate pro 5.x my self and in some firewall test (including sygates own test) it had some open ports.
    So my conclusion is that it does not give the best security.
    Sygate works fine. The usual cause of this is that the firewall test actually hit your ISP's web proxy or a conection sharing device between your computer and the internet. If it's not that then you don't have it confiugured properly and yes it requiring some knowledge to configure is a reason for using somthing else.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    ya zonealarm has everything in store, firewall, antivirus, antispy, the whole 9 yards

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I use the latest version of ZAP. (Zone Alarm Pro)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah hard question to ask ! Look "n" stop was one of my fav's but have used many flavours of Zap . You just have try them all, you decide because what works me may not be your answer . Symantic client has never failed me but even System Mech. has one now so you have to config for certain things like p/p2 for a better answer.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zak2210's Avatar The One BT Rep: +4
    I'm using Mcafee Security suite along with Peer Guardian 2 as a P2P firewall, these 2 programs secure my PC very well.

I had used Zone Alarm once and I thought it was rubbish! Slowed down my
    P2P speeds drastically and disabled my IE connection if the program weren't running, maybe ZA just isn't for P2P users like me..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    I like Zone Alarm, SyGate and Outpost.. In my opinion three of the best firewalls.. Another good one (but crappy GUI) is Look n' Stop. It looks shitty but it gets the job done which is the important thing.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast