Thread: RIAA Sues Family with No Computer

RIAA Sues Family with No Computer (Again)

Rockmart, GA -- Unaware that a lawsuit had been filed, the Walls family was shocked Friday when a reporter informed them of a lawsuit against Carma Walls for allegedly using a file sharing program to steal several copyrighted works.

There is presently speculation by the Walls family that the previous residents may be to blame because the Walls have only resided at their present address “for less than a year” and that they "don’t even have a computer."

The RIAA has been criticized for bringing lawsuits that are alleged to be used for the purpose of intimidation so that people do not publicly share files. The RIAA defends its actions by saying the lawsuits work to deter illegal activity.

Source: http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cf...TOKEN=73682694
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Ssj
    man I heard about this a really really long time ago.
    maybe... over 6months ago.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    What a bunch of losers (RIAA), no life?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    They're so hungry for money they don't even take the time to check before they start (yet another) lawsuit.

What a bunch of screw ups.

hmm...asspie

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I'd feel abused. I'd sue them. I mean, you know...if I had no computer. Right...
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Boogieman117's Avatar Poster
    Good god, they're worse then FEMA.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    what is this RIAA never heard of it???

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Dry

Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva
    what is this RIAA never heard of it???

Recording Industry Association of America:
    http://www.riaa.com/default.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA - A good resource
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The Recording Industry Association of America (or RIAA) is the trade group that represents the recording industry in the United States. Its members consist of a large number of private corporate entities such as record labels and distributors, rather than the actual artists responsible for the initial generation of the music.
    The RIAA has been at the heart of the file-sharing controversy, especially music files in the popular MP3 format uploaded onto the Internet using peer-to-peer software. The RIAA has long contended that sharing of copyrighted music was a form of piracy, applying the well-known computing term to music. Hilary Rosen, the RIAA's president and chief executive officer from 1998 to 2003, was an outspoken critic of peer to peer file sharing, and under her direction, the RIAA waged an aggressive legal campaign trying to eliminate illegal file-sharing worldwide. The RIAA and its member groups argue that Internet distribution of music, without the consent of the owner of the copyright in that music, not only detrimentally affected the profits of their members, but the careers of current and future artists as well, due to possible stagnation of the music industry from lack of innovation and production of a quality product.
    Wow, if you get music be wary of them.
    ------------------
    Gotta feeling you don't use PG2...
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 05-02-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Why aren't there serious law suits against the RIAA. Federal law suits.

If I, or anybody tries to sue or extort money out of someone they would be charged and may very likely go to jail.

Did this family do anything against the RIAA about this? I would love to see a huge ruling against the RIAA in the Billions of dollars not just millions, so their stupidity becomes so expensive, they will not even thing of suing anyone.