Thread: Buy a X2 4400+ now, or wait for Conroe?

I've decided to upgrade, i've got a AMD 3000+ 754 socket (ouch , I should of spent abit more for the 939) and I was thinking of buying X2-4400+ but now everyone is telling me to wait for Conroe to come out because it will destroy the AMD's.

What should I do?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What do you want to do that your current PC won't handle?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Conroe

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Music production & Video Editing. Those two programs need alot of grunt and I my work is starting to be limited by my hardware.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsu
    What should I do?
    Wait.
    At least six months.

If you already had a viable s939 platform then the CPU upgrade would make sense but since you're starting from scratch it seems a little late in the game to bet heavily on 939. Especially at the price point you're considering.

Conroe does look interesting as does the new AM2 tech (well, at least potentially) but it's too soon to start laying bets.
    It does seem certain that s939 will be around for at least a little while longer, primarily in the consumer desktop area, however I have no idea how well supported or how much longer future development will continue.

That said, if you were shopping the classifieds and came across a good deal on motherboard and processor it'd certainly be a big jump up from your current s754 rig.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg