Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Much Fragmentation.

hopefully you'll get your prob sorted out
    and you've been very polite too, thank you

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    hammermaff's Avatar Poster
    Right, i've been off kazzaa for nearly 3 hrs. (i've been on a west ham forum having a coronary&#33.
    i defragged as soon as i signed off kazzaa, haven't used any programmes apart from aol & ie.
    Just checked hd. again, got 2% file fragmentation, a great improvement!!
    So perhaps it's got something to do with d/lding etc. But still 2 % in 3hrs. not using much still seems a bit high! (Perhaps i'm expecting too much&#33.
    But before i reinstalled i could go a month or two without the need for a defrag.
    I am really quite baffled

@amphoteric: thanks! My grandad used to say "good manners don't cost anything" (just before a clip round the ear for being cheeky).

Maff

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    weard i have never needed to defragment my drive. And i only got a 40gb. 60% full

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    YESSSSSSSSS!!!!! , i think i've almost sussed it!!(well sort of nearly getting there&#33.
    I checked the report after analizing using d/keeper it seems that 95% of my fragmentation comes from "temp. internet files", even though i ran a disc clean before analizing (why didn't this clear these files)???
    Also upon opening these files i found them to contain just about every picture, av., sig., button etc. from every web site i've visited!!! Should this be happening? is there a setting in ie. to stop this happening???
    I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    but i still need a bit of help with these couple of things.

Thanks for all the help so far & Thanks in advance for any more help that can be given!!!

Maff

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    if you want to remove your temp internet files, i recommend window washer 4.8

File:Webroot_Window_Washer_v4.8.WinALL-TBE.ShareReactor.rar
    Length:1564660Bytes,1528KB
    UUHash:=0cstGV8M8yc74/F9sYbkSPPW0oU=

this is a great program that will remove all items from your temp internet directories
    if you don't want to download another program, go into command prompt and type ipconfig/flushdns

hopefully by removing your temp files you'll get the fragmenting problem sorted
    good luck

edit: added quicklink

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    @amphoteric: d/lded windows washer & a few plug-ins Works a treat! Cheers!m8!! :beerchug:

@balamm: Tried your advice, seems that the paging file size was a bit small, so i've tried to rectify that!! Also thanks!

It appears that the fragmentation problem is a LOT!! more under control

Thanks toEVERYONE!!!that has helped with this problem!!! It's great to know that there are helpful knowledgeable people on this forum willing to spare a bit of their time to help others out!!!!!

Again Thanks all!!!

Maff

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I just been watching Kanoute's goal from Sunday again g'dam if that aint the easiest goal we've given away this season, heh. Good luck to you Hammers!
    Mid-table mediocrity Man City

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    At this present moment in time, i'd shoot my mother-in-law for mid-table mediocrity!!! lol

Thanks s/p we need all the luck we can get!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12