Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Fragmentation.

hammermaff's Avatar Poster
    I recently had to formatt my hd. & do a clean install of xp home,
    i decided to use ntfs instead of fat32 i created one partition (my whole hd.) and
    installed to that.... Now my hd. gets massively fragmented and i have to defrag. at least once a day

Anybody got any ideas why this is happening?
    (should i have created a separate partition for xp and then partition the rest of my hd.)? If so how do i do this?

Many thanks!

Maff

my spec: (windows xp home, athlon xp2000+, with 512mb ram & 80GB hd.)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if you download a lot from p2p apps then you'll get a lot of fragmentation, very quickly.
    what defragger are you using?
    how big is your hdd and what percentage fragmented is it?
    you shouldn't need to partition your hdd, it should be ok with only one partition

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I'm using diskeeper, my hd. is 80gB with approx. 73% free space here's the screen shots from diskeeper:

All this fragmenting & i only defragged last night????????

Any ideas??

Many thanks!

Maff

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TRshady
    Originally posted by hammermaff@27 April 2003 - 10:51
    I recently had to formatt my hd. & do a clean install of xp home,
    i decided to use ntfs instead of fat32 i created one partition (my whole hd.) and
    installed to that.... Now my hd. gets massively fragmented and i have to defrag. at least once a day

Anybody got any ideas why this is happening?
    (should i have created a separate partition for xp and then partition the rest of my hd.)? If so how do i do this?

Many thanks!

Maff
    That's mad!, you shouldn't need to defrag that much at all, six months is about right for me. How do you know its defragmented? And whats your spec?, I believe this plays a part.

edit: I was a bit slow, anyways what is your spec?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    this looks like it may be a major problem now. those screenshots do not show a healthy disc, methinks. have you tried running the pcpitstop tests? (www.pcpitstop.com). the full bettery of tests from there will check the health of your disc and tell you of any problems. how old is the hdd and how many times have you formatted/reinstalled an os?
    when you defragged, did you shut down all non necessary programs, or just do it whilst you were still downloading?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    @amphoteric: my hd. is about 8 months old & i've reinstalled/formatted just the once.
    I'm gonna try pc pitstop. p.s. i closed all running prog's. before defragging.

Thanks!

Maff

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ok, give pcpitstop a go and tell us what it says. i'm baffled that the disc would get so fragmented so quickly. what speed are you downloading at and what type of files do you download?
    did you get your hdd in a package deal or did you build the comp up yourself from components?
    after pcpitstop you should try running check disk in windows, this will also diagnose any faults

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    @amphoteric: just tried pc pitstop, the scan just said that i've got a heavily fragmented disc, although apart from that
    there are no other problems, ran chkdsk... didn't find any problems.
    I can't see what else could be wrong but then again i'm no expert!
    Totally baffled, at the moment it's just a bit of a nuisance (it takes about 15 mins. to defrag.) but if i don't get it sorted, when my disc gets pretty full it's gonna be a proper pain in the arse!!!

thanks for your help!

Maff

P.S. I've been d/lding a bit of software recently that's about it, but some of it's been a bit crap so i've deleted it, this could be the problem but, even when i haven't been on Kazzaa it still gets fragmented so i don't know.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    what you should try is that you should fully defrag your disk, and then don't use kazaa for a couple of hours. play some games, listen to some music, do general tasks on your pc and see if it becomes heavily fragmented then. if you do this, you'll be able to see if it's purely a kazaa problem.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I will do that, fingers crossed!!

Again many thanks!!!!!!!!
    (you've been More than helpful!!)

Maff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast