Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are symbols important to you.

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Flags, national anthems or religious symbols etc.

Do you get offended if they are shown "disrespect"?

Watching the news and reading views about the spanish version of the US anthem I was amazed at how offended people were about it.
    I have never been one for worshiping symbolic objects so it seems a tad odd to me. I can understand indignity at someone saying bad things about us but to me singing our anthem in any language is a compliment.

With flags I am not worried if someone burns a US flag....It's another thing if they burn a US citizen.

I understand that it's what the symbol represents but I am wondering why all the fuss. It seems like a whole load of fuss made over something small when we have real problems that need fixing....... Could it be a diversion

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

Watching the news and reading views about the spanish version of the US anthem I was amazed at how offended people were about it.
    I have never been one for worshiping symbolic objects so it seems a tad odd to me. I can understand indignity at someone saying bad things about us but to me singing our anthem in any language is a compliment.

With flags I am not worried if someone burns a US flag....It's another thing if they burn a US citizen.

I understand that it's what the symbol represents but I am wondering why all the fuss. It seems like a whole load of fuss made over something small when we have real problems that need fixing....... Could it be a diversion

I like your American Atheist Avatar, it's very becoming.

“It’s not the will to win that counts - it is the will to prepare”

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Sure, I respect the idea behind some symbols.

I'd never do something like sing the Welsh National Anthem in English or tear a Welsh flag up but I wouldn't get offended if someone else did this. I'd form an opinion that this person is a bit of a idiot but I wouldn't be offended in the least that he or she didn't have respect for the same things that I hold dear. As a matter of fact, if some person went to the length of tearing up a flag that symbolises something I hold dear, I'd be quite glad that this odd chap didn't subscribe to my ideal.

By the same token, in general I won't disrespect other people's ideals. I'm not a believer in the Christian faith, or any others, but I won't make disparaging comments about things that are important to them. I prefer to have respect for their beliefs and not make comments designed to jibe them for having faith in something which I do not.

However, I am particularly comfortable with pushing badinage to its limit
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

Sure. Now whether I'd take action in the action in the matter would depend on the circumstances, I guess.

I remember some father and son trying to burn our flag on the baseball field during a game and a player running and snatching the flag away.

That seemed prudent. I'd deem it offensive if someone said, "Fuck America" unless they were joking.

I think someone singing the national anthem in Spanish just strengthened the resolve of many against illegal immigrants.

Nice going.

I might think it over the top to kick someone's ass over a flag burning though. However, I wouldn't be too salty about it either.

It's kinda like the fella that runs his mouth then gets punched in it in mid-sentence.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™
    I think someone singing the national anthem in Spanish just strengthened the resolve of many against illegal immigrants.
    just a question on this.........

If an iraqi living in iraq that supports the USA action there, sang our anthem to show his support, but in his own languge..... is that offensive?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    just a question on this.........

If an iraqi living in iraq that supports the USA action there, sang our anthem to show his support, but in his own languge..... is that offensive?
    No. His intention is to show support and he is probably ignorant of it being disrespectful to many to sing it in another language.

Now the context of this Spanishizing the anthem is not a show of support. It is a feigning of support while in protest.

"We are the backbone of what America is, legal or illegal, it doesn't matter"
    Of course it does.

Others were more irreverent, wearing T-shirts that read "I'm illegal. So what?"
    The boycott was organized by immigrant activists angered by federal legislation that would criminalize illegal immigrants and fortify the U.S-Mexico border.
    The problem is the context is why folks are singing the national anthem in Spanish. I look at it as a hijack due to the fact that they simply are saying to the American government, "Fuck you. I snuck in here so make me a legal citizen and don't even think of trying to keep the rest of my countrymen out of your country."

As I said before, there are folks who go about becoming a citizen the right way. I deem it offensive for them to sing the anthem in Spanish under the veil of protest of our laws.

I hope the folks who left work to protest get fired.
    I wish the illegals were shipped out en masse.
    I wish businesses who employ illegals were criminalized since they fuel the fire by shortcutting labor. That would short circuit the problem quickly and better than a huge fence.

Maybe the business paradigm would shift from discounting the American worker.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    The boycott was organized by immigrant activists angered by federal legislation that would criminalize illegal immigrants and fortify the U.S-Mexico border.
    See, this is the part I don't get. Crimilize it how?
    It's already illegal for fuck's sake.

But aside from that.....you DC people musn't be very up to date on agriculture.
    Those immigrants keep the farms going.
    I live in Southern California, I see it every day, so just trust me on that.
    Does it make what they are doing right? Not exactly.
    But, if America would reform welfare and get every one off their lazy asses,
    maybe the farmers wouldn't have to hire immigrants.
    True, they get migrant labor at a much cheaper rate, but let's be honest...
    Most Americans are just too fucking lazy to do the work.

The problem is the context is why folks are singing the national anthem in Spanish. I look at it as a hijack due to the fact that they simply are saying to the American government, "Fuck you. I snuck in here so make me a legal citizen and don't even think of trying to keep the rest of my countrymen out of your country."
    They said all of that during the singing? Really? Was it, like, subliminal?
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Why can't the American anthem be sung in Spanish? The English version starts off by addressing some guy called "José" . . .

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    The British national anthem is cool, it speaks of battering the Scottish into the ground and giving them a right good seeing to (paraphrase). Which is unfortunate, given that the Scottish (or at least some of them) then sing it. It's a laugh on the very odd occasion that a Scottish person wins something at international level and then receives their medal to the strains of "you're a cunt".

What sort of place keeps a national anthem which pointedly extoles the virtues of the oppression of a substantial section of it's citizenry. In whatever language.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless

No, not really.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast