Thread: Ram And Bus Speed Help

Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    I'm running Windows Xp Pro on my 256 MB RAM PC and I am hoping to to 512 MB's

Currently I have a two DIMM memory slots .... one of which has the 256 MB PC 100 SDRAM chip .... and the other where I plan to install the new chip

There is a good deal right now on a 256 MB PC 133 SDRAM chip ....

Is it possible for me to install the PC 133 chip instead of a PC 100 chip? Would there be any probs in this case?

Or can I only use memory cards with a bus speed of 100 Mhz?

Skeptic

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    what motherboard do you have?
    what cpu do you have?
    the more details, the easier it is to answer the question

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Check you board specs.

If you have one 256mb at 133mhz and one 256mb at 100mhz in the same system you will have 512mb at 100mhz. (Your system will run at the speed of the lowest modules rating.)

If your board supports 133mhz then you could get one 512mb at 133mhz module and you system would run faster.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    I have an Intel 810E chipset ... Chipset Specs

According to that site the chipset can support 133 Mhz buses .....

However the manufacturer Compaq used this chipset but only put in a 256 SDRAM PC 100 chip?

Right now, I can get two 256 SDRAM PC 133 chips for the price of one 256 PC 100 .....

However I'm not sure which bus speed I should consider when buying the RAM chips

I'm a noob in these areas .......

So what I would like to ask is ..... Is there a difference between chipset speeds and motherboard bus speeds?

If there is, what do I consider when buying memory, the chipset speed or the motherboard bus speed?

One last question: Is the clock speed the same as the bus speed? If not, which is important when choosing memory

BTW .. I'm on a "Desktop Presario 5127SR", so if anyone has any knowledge in the area regarding these computers and what motherboard they use I'd be obliged ....

Thanks for the help ....

Skeptic

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I run a Presario(7470 desktop) and have had problems with PC133 memory. I've tried P133 and it wouldn't register all of it and than it locked up. I don't know for sure but it sounds like a crapshoot to try PC133 (check the return policy of your vendor).
    I would recommend PC100 base on my experience but in shopping around I've found tht PC100 is becoming more rare(and expensive) since it (and SD RAM in general) is becoming obsolete.

Hope that helps.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    What I wouldn't have done for this reply a few hours earlier ...

I bought 256 SDRAM PC 133 from a company called PNY .. Even though the memory is recommended for my specific Presario model, when I tried to install it, it does not work ..... My system does not recognize the module ....

I tried booting up with the new memory and the old one ... my system only recognizes the old memory .. same old 256 MB

I tried booting up with the new one (PC 133) only, the light on my my CPU Box comes on ... but my monitor remains blank .. no output .....

Can anybody out there tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Or do I have no choice but to buy the PC 100 memory .....

@ harrycary .... Does your Presario now work with the PC 100 memory

Skeptic

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    Never Mind .....

Took care of it .... got the PC 100 memory module .... Turns out that PNY PC 133s are not backward compatible with systems having 100 Mhz buses ... these versions are made with some differences ...

Thanks for the help

Skeptic