Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google and the Microsoft IE 7 fight

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    [news=http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2858/msie7logoonly5wx.png]Microsoft has added a new search box in its new Internet Explorer 7 browser to send people from Google to MSN search

For many, Microsoft is taking an unfair advantage with the new IE 7, by sending some search queries to MSN from other search engines such as Google. Google aired concerns about Web-search competition recently to the Justice Department and the European Commission, The Times reports.

Google claims that Microsoft’s new browser will take away user choice and unfairly take traffic and advertising revenue from the competition, according to The Times. Google said built-in search boxes are used as a starting point for 30 percent to 50 percent of searches on browsers where they are available, which in turn can help sell advertisements that appear next to search results, The Times reports.

Microsoft, on the other hand, says it designed its new Internet Explorer 7 browser with users in mind, and the default settings are easy to change, The Times reports.

Source: http://www.halflifesource.com/news/g...rticle5343.htm[/news]
    Last edited by tesco; 05-03-2006 at 03:58 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    This is just ridiculous. The default home page in IE is also MSN.com, do they want it to be google.com to. You can always change the default search engine and I remember when IE would ask you for your preferred engine when you first use it.
    The only way to remove it is to have no default engine, but that would require that EVERY browser, especially those with Google as default also have no Default search engine.

This is a part of the program and MSN search is obviously the first search. I don't like that my Google toolbar uses Google by default, maybe I should sue Google.

Why are people trying to remove free basic parts of windows. All it does is hurt the consumer and give consumer money to companies.
    Why would you remove WMP in Europe so you cannot play media and have to buy more software.

I can understand requiring compatibility with servers as well as office and other software allowing me to get compatible cheaper software.
    Or have a system independent directX that will run on any OS, then you have balance. But taking simple free parts with many alternatives from windows is just plain stupid.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    google has practically monopolised searching. why should they care. is this just a PR stunt to see how people take sides?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    This whole case is unfair to MS becuase Firefox comes with google.com as the default homepage and the default search engine.

I for one hate anything besides google becuase it looks weird and i don't like it. MSN can go to hell for all i care so I wouldn't like it being the default. Even if it is unfair to MS and they can do with their shit whatever they want but I will still hate MS.

Also that thing in EU about them taking things out from windows is so stupid. If there was no IE in Windows how would be be able to download Firefox? And WMP is not that bad. I could remember so may times I used it when I was reinstalling windows and installing all my programs back. It was useful sometimes.

If they are making MS take out apps from Windows what about all the apps OSX includes? Safari, iTunes, iLife, Quicktime Player.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by elkinm
    I don't like that my Google toolbar uses Google by default, maybe I should sue Google.
    Teh fook?

If you have a google toolbar what do you eally expect the default search engine it uses to be?
    Last edited by DanB; 05-03-2006 at 09:46 PM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Quote Originally Posted by elkinm

This is a part of the program and MSN search is obviously the first search. I don't like that my Google toolbar uses Google by default, maybe I should sue Google.
    Teh fook?

If you have a google toolbar what do you eally expect the default search engine it uses to be?
    I thought all brats understood sarcasm.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    yeah yeah fuck off bustycunt

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    yeah yeah fuck off bustycunt
    Don't rush me, BamB. You're mom is still here. I don't wanna be rude and whatnot.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    My mum is so many miles away from you that your joke is ridiculous.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I dont really get it. I use the IE7 beta and was perfectly able to change the default MSN search to google. I am not siding with google, I am just saying that MSN search sucks the balls and whatnot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast