Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Slave A SATA?

Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper

Question Mark

Hello i have a Maxtor 60gb IDE hard drive and a Maxtor 120gb SATA hard drive, i as just wondering if i can master the IDE (for programs) and slave the SATA (for movies, music, pics etc etc)...and oh yeah i havent got a floppy drive.

Cheers!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    SATA drives are neither "master" or "slave" as there is only one drive per port.
    Depending on your motherboard you may need to feed Windows a driver for the SATA to be seen.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I think I already answered your question here: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showp...05&postcount=4

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    After putting the drive in just make sure in your BIOS it's not set to boot off the sata drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    In the BIOS do i set it to second priority boot? (under my IDE) and also my PC is not detecting the SATA drive (in disk management and system) because i dont think ive installed the drivers how do i do this w/o using a floppy...it detects it on the BIOS tho :S

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Also i have files on my SATA that i wish to keep so if i cant run both IDE and SATA is there any way i can access these files. Th reason is because i stupidly formatted te partition with windows on the SATA now i cant access the SATA because windows doesnt detect it without the drivers floppy.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    You only need the drivers on floppy if you are installing XP onto that drive. If you've already got XP on your IDE drive you can install them from any source. If you haven't got the cd that came with the mobo download the drivers from the manufacturers web site.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Not sure if I am helping any, but I wanted to add. On my mobo, there are sata slots, and I could slave a sata by using it in the number 2 sata slot. in the bios, I had to select the drive from a list of hard drives that were installed, but not in the boot sequence section. There is (on my board) a separate area to select drives.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 05-03-2006 at 10:54 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky
    In the BIOS do i set it to second priority boot? (under my IDE) and also my PC is not detecting the SATA drive (in disk management and system) because i dont think ive installed the drivers how do i do this w/o using a floppy...it detects it on the BIOS tho :S
    Doesn't matter where it is in the boot priority just as long as it's under whatever you actually want to boot from.

Let us know what motherboard you have so we can help you find the sata drivers.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Abit Kv7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast