Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White guilt: It's broad effect and inhibiting effect

How can anyone believe America's tactics are race related? It would have been exactly the same if America had gotten seriously involved in the Yugoslav breakup. The point about guerilla warfare is that the fighters blend with civilians and as such a conventional military force can't apply its massive technological and munitions advantage without causing really high levels of civilian casualties.
    Sure if you don't give a shit about people in "brown countries" then by all means you could apply military force without restraint exactly like the conquistadors of old did. But the choice not to do that today has nothing to do with guilt and everything to do with recognising that people in other countries are equals to yourself.
    Thats about as far as i got in the article.
    Last edited by ilw; 05-04-2006 at 09:01 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Is Steele a traitor to his race?

Can a bi-racial individual speak of white guilt other than derisively?

Can such a man even reasonably claim to be conversant on the matter?

Manker-

Perhaps Steele would have better served his point by substituting the Korean War for the Vietnamese War?

Insofar as neither was a "victory" in the traditional sense, and also since both were ostensibly wars against burgeoning Communism, about which a relative few of us (and no one who has so far posted in this thread, apart from myself) are old enough to remember the first/last thing about...

Do you know anything about the Korean War?

It would seem to be a more appropriate starting point for Steele's argument, I think, given that the attendent domestic strife was of a much more distinctly isolationist nature, marked as it was by residual fatigue from WWII.

The Viet Nam war had a much more all-encompassing dynamic domestically, with an extremely well-defined and developed generational effect.

I really didn't want to get too far afield with this thread (given my lack of available time), but you pushed a button...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i wanna say i agree with this "white guilt" thing to an extent. i don't think it has anything to do with the iraq war though. there is a stigma attached to a white dividing people into groups of skin colour. it pisses me off that people are uncomfortable talking about race.

seeing as the vietnam and iraq wars were to promote western democracy, annihilating these countries isn't very good for hearts and minds inside or out of their borders

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    I would have rather seen the starting point Hiroshima, or at least a mention.

Wouldn't it have been interesting if we had never discovered for example, the Incas; until tomorrow

edit: all this reminds me of Mahatma Gandhi... when asked what he thought of Western Civilisation, he replied, "I think it would be a good idea."
    Last edited by thewizeard; 05-05-2006 at 01:39 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I will state first that I have not read most of the article.

Now people of the white race are guilty of the biggest travesties committed on this Earth.

However, I don't believe for a second that it translates to how our military fights. It has nothing to do with white guilt. It has to do with appearing evil, over the top and simply, unfair.

It can be a white on white fight and the policy would be the same.

Apologies for being off-kilter with the stance of the article. I will read it all later, I hope.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    I will state first that I have not read most of the article.

Now people of the white race are guilty of the biggest travesties committed on this Earth.

However, I don't believe for a second that it translates to how our military fights. It has nothing to do with white guilt. It has to do with appearing evil, over the top and simply, unfair.

It can be a white on white fight and the policy would be the same.

Apologies for being off-kilter with the stance of the article. I will read it all later, I hope.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Instead of posting the same thing twice, you might have taken the time to read it fully, and been more thoughtful in your response.

As to your second sentence, I will beg to differ, but defer a further response until I have time.

See?

It's easy.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    why the fuck am i linked to travesties that happened in a different country, over 40 years before i was born because of skin colour. i don't go guilt tripping black people about genocides and shit in africa that are happening right now

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Instead of posting the same thing twice, you might have taken the time to read it fully, and been more thoughtful in your response.

As to your second sentence, I will beg to differ, but defer a further response until I have time.

See?

It's easy.
    Notice I said "people of the white race", not "the white race" in general.

All it means is that you share the same skin color, and that's all it means. Individuals are still individuals.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

See?

It's easy.
    Notice I said "people of the white race", not "the white race" in general.

All it means is that you share the same skin color, and that's all it means. Individuals are still individuals.
    Blah, blah, blah.

Did you read it or not, and does it make any more or less sense than your first impression?

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast