Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates wishes he weren't so rich!!!

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    [news=http://www.spectacle.org/pictures/borg.jpg]Bill Gates wishes he weren't so rich
    The corporate leader says he doesn't like the attention of being the world's richest man.
    May 4, 2006: 3:40 PM EDT

REDMOND, Wash. (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates said Wednesday he wished he were not the world's richest man.

"I wish I wasn't. There is nothing good that comes out of that," said Gates, whose personal fortune sank by billions since last week when the software giant disappointed investors by saying new investments would crimp earnings.

The corporate leader who made Microsoft into the world's largest software maker - and who is also one of the biggest philanthropists - is seen as a man who does not like publicity. He explained that he did not like the attention of being the world's richest person.

"You get more visibility as a result of it," he said during an interview conducted by CNBC reporter Donny Deutsch in front of a crowd of people attending a Microsoft advertising event. (Watch Bill Gates on CNN Pipeline's CNNMoney Business Update - 1:54)

The Microsoft co-founder said that the person he learned most from in the world, aside from technology colleagues, was fellow-billionaire and legendary investor Warren Buffett.

"He has this very refreshing, simple way of looking at things so I put him top of the list," said Gates, adding that the top lesson from Buffett was the importance of integrity.

Still, Gates joked about his plight being unequaled in wealth. Asked if he surrounded himself with financial peers, he quipped, "No, I sit alone."

Gates has been the richest man in the world for eight years running - since 1998 - and was worth $90 billion at his fortune's peak in 1999, according to the Forbes list of richest people. His fortune is currently at $50 billion, according to the magazine.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes[/news]
    Last edited by Darth Sushi; 05-04-2006 at 08:58 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Boo hoo hoo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Give me half your money Mr. Gates, problem solved.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Bill Gates is a top bloke imo, he has given away like $30 billion to charitable causes...

I have no time for his company (or any sad git sad enough to buy shares in his company) but I have a lot of time for the person Bill Gates.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    imagine a world without windows mengs

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    We should all be so "unlucky".

yo

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    imagine a world without windows mengs
    ...ah yes a world running IBM OS2...

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Bill Gates is a top bloke imo, he has given away like $30 billion to charitable causes...

I have no time for his company (or any sad git sad enough to buy shares in his company) but I have a lot of time for the person Bill Gates.
    I second that. He does give alot of money to charity, mates, but he doesn't like to talk about it.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    I wish I wasn't so poor

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Well if it's a real problem then why doesn't he lower the price of Windows XP?

After all it's "old" software that's been around since 2001.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast