View Poll Results: Do you use newsgroups?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 85.92%
  • No

10 14.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use Newsgroups?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm always amazed at how many NZB's are posted when I view the 'New Posts'. I think it would be safe to say that over half the posts on this forum are NZB postings. I myself have never dabbled with them as I've never needed to - everything I've ever needed I've found on Soulseek or any number of bit-torrent sites. Am I really missing anything?
    Last edited by Skizo; 05-05-2006 at 07:43 AM.

yo

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    this should actually be posted elsewhere , eg filesharing
    to get a more objective view

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I use newsgroups, I can ALWAYS max out my speed on newsgroups but with torrents (public ones) I get a very slow speed.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Am I really missing anything?
    Apart from a brain you are also missing out on maxed out speeds and there is no uploading. I still use torrents when I'm not using Newsgoups, mostly to upload stuff that I got from the Newsgroups.

They have simplified the use of Newsgroups in recent times so it might been easy enough for even you to use now. Worth a try. But remember, like the search function, if you can't figure out how to use it does not mean it sucks.
    Last edited by Cheese; 05-05-2006 at 09:47 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I don't really percieve it as using Newsgroups anymore. I still take advantage of a Usenet server, however I use only NZB's now, rather than scouring through millions of monotonous articles on newsgroups like I used too...

As far as you missing out on something, definately! It's been said many times before, you're missing out on maxed out download speeds, without the hassle of an up/down ratio, waiting for seeds, and the exclusive direct download, rather than hammering your network with several hundred peers.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I use them frequently but the problem is that i'm still in the torrent loving phase because it is free. I know ISP can be used making it free but is it worth it. The completion reeks and so does the retention. Im becoming a smart n00b. :-)

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory
    I don't really percieve it as using Newsgroups anymore. I still take advantage of a Usenet server, however I use only NZB's now, rather than scouring through millions of monotonous articles on newsgroups like I used too...

As far as you missing out on something, definately! It's been said many times before, you're missing out on maxed out download speeds, without the hassle of an up/down ratio, waiting for seeds, and the exclusive direct download, rather than hammering your network with several hundred peers.
    But I still wonder about it's value to me personally, or if it's "right for me".

I don't download movies at all, and haven't in at least two years. I think the last time I downloaded a movie I was still utilizing KLite Resurrection.

On the rare occasion that I need to update some software I may download this or that, but for the most part I only download my weekly TV shows (Sopranos and LOST) via Suppertorrents and whatever music I feel like getting which typically comes from Soulseek.

How is the movie quality with newsgroups? Is it about the same as bittorrent with an array of quality or do you get an abundance of higher quality DVD rips worthy of burning to disc?

yo

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    How is the movie quality with newsgroups? Is it about the same as bittorrent with an array of quality or do you get an abundance of higher quality DVD rips worthy of burning to disc?
    DVDrips worthy of burning? Definately, though with the ability to download at max speed, why not opt for DVD quality? Downloading a DVDr takes me a little under 2 hours. Where as downloading that on a BT tracker would take DAYS, then more days on top of that to get your ratio back up.

I tend to only download TV shows as well, but I'm sort of a creature of impulse. If I'm not able to get what I'm looking for in a relatively small amount of time, I'll more often than not forget about it. I can download complete seasons of TV shows in roughly 3-4 hours most of the time, Single episodes takes like 5-10 minutes. And better yet, there are even HDTV episodes that are much better quality, larger size mind you, but that really isn't an issue anymore.
    Last edited by Damnatory; 05-05-2006 at 06:17 PM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    but for the most part I only download my weekly TV shows (Sopranos and LOST) via Suppertorrents and whatever music I feel like getting which typically comes from Soulseek.
    The Sopranos is usually posted to newsgroups 1-2 hrs after airing, takes me 10-15 minutes to download it...

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's not necessarily that the NZBs posts make up half of the forum's posts, it's the fact that most members psot a thank you before they download an nzb so the same ones get bumped on the newposts list a lot.

Although the site really is busy in the NZB section for obvious reasons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast