Thread: Slow speeds on ALL P2P programs

I recently moved down to GA and got an Adelphia cable connection. I am however having extremely slow down speeds on torrent programs, limewire, ares, etc. Anything P2P.

For instance, I download at a steady rate of 1-10 kB/s on torrents and about 20 kB/s on P2P. Compared to my older, slower rate on a DSL connection over a wireless network (my access is now wired), where I had about 150-300 kB/s down on torrents and a steady 80 kB/s on limewire, ares.

I have tried everything, forwarding ports on my router, DMZing myself, connecting straight through the modem instead of through a router, turning off all software firewalls, changing ports for the torrents to see through, so please no links to the panacea for torrent programs please.

On running Speakeasy's speed test from Atlanta, I receive 4571 kb/s down and 352 kb/s up. Any suggestions? A ping of google returns 42, 39, 39, 41ms, and I download at a usual rate from FTP and HTTP servers at ~300-500 kB/s.

I am connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4 router currently, but as I mentioned, turning off ALL firewalls AND connecting directly to the modem provide no help at all, so I have no idea what to do next.

It wasn't always this way however. Sometimes I'll get lucky and hit about 80 kB/s down (usually with bitcomet). Still, 99% of the time it crawls at 1 kB/s, even if I am connected to a torrent with 700 available seeds and am actively connected to +100 of them.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    bytesmack's Avatar masTEr o' dE tORREnT
    WoW, you have a real problem. I would prolly check with your new ISP and see if they have the torrent ports capped. Thats about the only thing that I can think of. If they do I would look for a connection elsewhere. Let me know...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Draugr's Avatar Poster
    Get Azureus or uTorrent and use encryption. I believe Adelphia blocks torrent traffic.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Ahh I see... any links as to how I would obtain information of such encryption? Unless of course you mean WEP. Also, what do most people use nowadays as their P2P for a few single songs? I used to use Ares, but now even that is slow for me.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I've found it pretty difficult to find sites that have single songs -

vinden.nl has been useful - but when i can't find something there i just usually use allofmp3.com

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Draugr's Avatar Poster