Thread: Strange Experience with Ad-Aware

I experienced something odd with ad-aware a couple of weeks back. My computer had been running fine, no problems worth complaining about and I decided I should update and run ad-aware, as it had been some time since I had. Updated the current file, ran the software, removed something like 65 items. I shut down ad-aware, went online and suddenly I had all kinds of things loading or trying to load. For the next few days, I had all kinds of trouble, and still have a few things to sort out. Anyone else have this problem or have any idea what happened?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'loading or trying to load'.
    Do you mean that when you opened IE, Windows complained that a file was missing? If that's the case then Adaware most likely has deleted it and there's still a trigger somewhere trying to run it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I just started having problems too. It won't let me update anymore
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n
    -----------------------------------

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Does it have a back up option ? Ad-aware I mean .

I would check their home page maybe the have a fix already it happens with updates sometimes .

http://www.lavasoft.de/support/faq/
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-10-2006 at 12:52 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Sorry, I should have explained a bit better. What I mean is, spyware started loading right and left like I had never seen before. I use a little program called Start-up, which monitors programs trying to register and gives you the option of refusing to let them register. It was popping windows up as fast as I could click no but, apparently some of them did register anyway. I ran spybot after that, and it located some new items and after several attempts did remove them. A few days later, I checked ad-aware and a new file was available which I loaded and ran, with some reservations, but it seemed to help.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    @ coldnorth , oh OK I think I get it . The nice thing about anti-spy ware programs is you can have more than one running . Maybe when you thaw out you should try a new one like Giant , Counterspy or the Microsoft variation .

They seem to work much better than adware or spybot but just my humble opinion . The spybot one updates so rarely I deleted it .

The "thaw out "was in fun , I'm thinking Edmonton A.B. ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-10-2006 at 05:35 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I took it all in fun Peat so no worries there. Actually, I’m not that far north, nor for that matter am I even over the border, but still, it is cold all the same.

Giant and Counterspy I am not familiar with and the Microsoft variation, which I think is simply a revamped version of Giant-Anti Spyware I did not have particularly good results with.

I still have something on here as I am being redirected and now I am also unable to update ad-aware.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Had something similar with Adware apps trying to run all over the place. They were writing themselves inside a temp directory in Documents And Settings which I watched in the folder which was listed when an AV alert came up. The AV couldnt do anything about it and never had another alert after that. Ran Adware which found some items though minor and not related to the issue.

Went to Safe Mode and ran Adware update along with AV and and found some stuff and also cleaned that folder completely. When I rebooted it started again even creating numerous icons on my desktop. Had no clue what was the cause and having spent hours on this decided for the quick solution to goto a backup image. Seems strange as many process that were running and attempting to run not much of anything was found other than the initial AV alert that went off...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Check out Xsoftspy (there's an NZB in the NZB section). I find it better than anything else I've tried.
    I used it on my brother's puter on Sunday and it found half a dozen trojans that Symantec Client Security had missed, together with some adware the AOL (yes, he's with them!) spychecker had missed.
    Actually, on that note, I found that AOL's spychecker doesn't even detect CWS's MySearchBar - what use is that?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks Chewie, and everyone. I'll check out the Xsoftspy, but, and this is probably a stupid question, what is "NZB in the NZB section"?