Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Music

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Okay pirates, here's a question...

I read in my paper today (The Denver Post) that Apple has come to an agreement with several music companies to offer music online for legal download at about $.99/ song. About $.60 of this would go to the music company and the artist (presumably). Although the first iteration will be for Mac users only, they plan on rolling out a Windows- based version shortly (duh&#33.

Since many posts in this section of the forum proclaim the sentiment "CDs cost too much! If they'd lower the price I'd buy it!", the question is...

How many of you are willing to pay $.99 for a legal copy of a song that you can get for free right here?

Step right up...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Music   -   #2
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    Not me, if i pay, i want an original with booklet, art etc.
    If they lower the prices [at least to half] i would be buying more cd's, i really would. [More, not all]

3. Music   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I might pay, but honestly, I think the prices are still a bit high. Apple in in talks with Universal Records, and might even purchase that company outright. The model looks good, but no one has really discussed the quality of the files, nor did they discuss the price of additional copies. When I burn disks, its one for the car, one for the player at work, and sometimes one for home, though I use my PC for that in most cases.
    Proud member of MDS

4. Music   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I won't pay $1 for a song. It'd add up far too quickly. If CDs were cheaper, I'd buy them. I won't buy songs to burn to a crappy disc I got from Staples, which I also have to pay for.

A good 95% of my music wouldn't be "sold" this way anyway. Which makes getting CDs very difficult to get, since they aren't sold, either.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Music   -   #5
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 20:41
    I won't pay $1 for a song. It'd add up far too quickly. If CDs were cheaper, I'd buy them.
    Interesting thoughts, though I don't understand your logic. In the past, you had to buy a full CD, now you can have just the songs you want. Thus the full CD is cheaper, because you only get the songs you want. I'll keep ripping and sharing until they provide me with a realistic model for music downloads. This is definitely a step in the right direction for the industry.
    Proud member of MDS

6. Music   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 18:41
    I won't pay $1 for a song. It'd add up far too quickly. If CDs were cheaper, I'd buy them. I won't buy songs to burn to a crappy disc I got from Staples, which I also have to pay for.
    How cheap does a CD have to be before you'd buy it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Music   -   #7
    Maybe its a step in the right direction, but im not gonna be part of it, its to much money, i dont like internet payments, and i just want the original when i pay for something.......

I am willing to pay €5 [euro] for a cd, call me stingy, i dont care, 5 euro is a reasonable price considering much more people will buy the original.

8. Music   -   #8
    Originally posted by clocker@29 April 2003 - 01:05
    Okay pirates, here's a question...
    Step right up...
    And how about you Clocker?

9. Music   -   #9
    $1 for each song (and I imagine it's US dollars) would mean $1.45 for me (today, at least ). Just as an example, Weights and Measures has 12 songs on it. I'm at $17.40 right now. To buy a single CD-R will cost me $2.94. So far, $20.34. I won't factor gas into actually driving 45 minutes to the store to pick up the CD-Rs, though.

In theory, if Apple had all the songs from Weights and Measures available for download, it'd cost me $20.34 to get a burnt CD of it.

I bought Weights and Measures for $16.72.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. Music   -   #10
    Originally posted by clocker+29 April 2003 - 01:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 29 April 2003 - 01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 18:41
    I won&#39;t pay &#036;1 for a song. It&#39;d add up far too quickly. If CDs were cheaper, I&#39;d buy them. I won&#39;t buy songs to burn to a crappy disc I got from Staples, which I also have to pay for.
    How cheap does a CD have to be before you&#39;d buy it? [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m not able to buy many CDs. They simply aren&#39;t sold with the music I listen to. If they are sold, it&#39;s either through the artists themselves, or some wierd little shop on the corner. Amazon lists most of them at around &#036;25 - &#036;32.

I won&#39;t pay &#036;23 for one song.

I&#39;d consider paying &#036;5 for a CD. &#036;10 if the whole album is super-good.

I&#39;ve noticed you haven&#39;t answered your own question, oddly enough.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast