Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A V for Vendetta World Not Far Off

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    I believe in the Matrix
    Oh.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    but do you believe in the The Singularity?
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 05-25-2006 at 06:54 AM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    We can do little more than acknowledge such theories.

They are fascinating, aren't they?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    for better or worse, true. 'cause... however much a theory like this sounds (to some people) like a lot of foregone conclusions, we've got no idea when it might happen, whether it'll be any good (by our definitions), or whether there's anything any of us could do to influence the outcome. still. can't help being a bit fascinated with it, anyway.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 05-26-2006 at 01:06 AM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i know penn and teller are as neutral as vinegar, but this video has some pretty interesting facts

http://revver.com/video/3356/13046

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Thanks for that, was new to me ... an interesting read

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    I think ideas out there will tend to get realized. You can't realize a concept without first bringing the idea of the concept into mind. So also with 1984, perhaps. Point beeing that the idea of this society is out there. Someone, or some group, might just make it happen.

I will certainly watch the movie now.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    bulgie's Avatar Funky Nazhole
    Arrival of said singularity will be delayed for a while if not kiboshed completely by the end of civilization as we know it about to happen as the oil wars heat up. It's started already of course. As the earth's population both increases and industrializes, increasing the demand for oil, simultaneously the finite amount of remaining oil becomes harder and harder to find.

We may have already reached the historic point of peak oil production (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil) and begun the descent into the chaos of a world unable (and often unwilling) to convert to renewable resources in time.

Anyone still believe the wars in Iraq and Afganistan are about bringing democracy to those countries? I wish we could bring it to to the USA.

I wish a technological singularity was the worst thing we had to worry about.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Methinks that rat boy is being a smartass

Actually all the above are the direct result of public apathy. People are 2 damned lazy to police themselves. "We want the government to fix it!" carps the whining masses. Only near total and complete apathy can explain why anydamnone would want an institution that has proven itself so aggressively incompetant at policing itself should be expected to police anydamnbody else with anything but aggressive incompetance.
    Moral relatavism in action. Enjoy.
    Later taters,
    bone

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Where you been, 'bone?

Long bloody time...

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12