Thread: Can't find solution, BIZARRE problem

Question Mark

Hi, I’ve been having some problems with computer lately. When i attempt to play games such as quake 3, championship manager etc which my computer as never had any problems dealing with, after a minute or so the sound starts cracking, little rain drop sounds begin, they get louder and louder and more frequent until it completely takes over and the computer freezes... Never had this happen before. The only way to stop this is by exiting the games before this sound takes over. I even tried playing snes games on it (using emulators) the computer does not freeze but these sounds do exist but it doesn't get to the point where the computer freezes.

Everything else seems to work fine. I have formatted quite a few times now but with no improvements. I’ve installed the games first (when least resources are taken up by the computer) after formatting and this still happens.

Could i have some problem with my video card or something?

Specs:
    intel celeron 1.4
    256ram
    windows xp pro corporate sp2
    graphics card intel 82810e graphics controller
    35gigs

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Hmmm strange...

Do you have a microphone? Try disconnecting it. It could be some sort of feedback.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I don't have one at all. The main problem is the freezing up of the whole computer. Tried a few things out but nothing to date. What could be causing this problem, bad graphics card or something?
    Last edited by WannaPlay; 05-20-2006 at 05:33 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    What's your sound chip?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    it's a Intel 82801ba/bam ac 97 audio controller

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Do you have access to a spare sound card that you could test with?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i haven't i'm afraid

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Update sound drivers?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Yep. I would update your sound drivers as well as graphic drivers. Scan for virus' and reboot.

Not sure, but could this be related to DirectX?

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10

Surprised/Amazed

Its dead i can't believe it. RIP... Nothing comes on the screen... i take for example the hard drive and disconnect it from the motherboard and the hard drive etc seem to work but not when its connect to the motherboad... i.e. motherboard is dead. although the cpu seems to be working, but hey what do i know.. i better be getting another since this is a few years old not worth fixing it.

i have some important files in the hard drive could i still connect it up with the new computer and get them back? i'm not too good with the insides though.. may need some guidance

could i use this hard drive as a second hard drive, would you recommend this?

could i use the other bits from the old computer i.e. ram, modem, cdrw drive etc on it?

i'll keep u guys updated