Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newzbin Starting Long Slide Towards.....

Yesterday, a notice was added to the front page of Newzbin, saying in effect they arn't accepting any new paying members (don't know if any new editors).

Something to do with too much stress on their machinery, or too many emails from noobs.

Since it is a pay service, if they're getting too much stress, sounds like they need to either up their rates and build more/faster servers or settle for less profit.

If they can't answer all the emails, seems like they need more editors/supervisors to do the work.

Either, sounds like a dodge to me. I'd make a prediction, but I'll leave that up to everyone else.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    visionaryone
    Strange, maybe they are on teh way out.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    They do have just shy of 100K users; figuring at 50cents/week, or $26/year (less of course the 'specials' like around year end), that comes to 2.6million/year.

Now, the biggest expense has to be bandwidth; a few months back they instituted throteling on the nzb's d/l'ed, as many 're-sellers' were grabbing tons per day (using bots I'll assume), and slowing the whole system down.

But major h/w and s/w development is something that, once paid, is done with (beyond basic maintenance), and will last for years. And of course, gets cheaper all the time.

But wringing out new users is like cutting your nose off dispite your face. Doesn't make a whole lotta sense from a business standpoint.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    visionaryone
    This has nothing to do with business, it's a known fact that certain government organisations are out to grab/shutdown the major NZB websites, starting with the ones that take in money first.

Making 2.6 million dollars a year is like holding a big sign above your head saying "I make money from warez, please arrest me"

Just my 2c's

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    You don't have to pay to be a registered member on that website. I don't think all the members are actually paying members. I am, but i've always waited for the xmas sale, as I'm pretty cheap.

good site though, i was using it and nzb-zone, until nzb-zone went down

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    visionaryone
    Nzbzone was taken down by the owners due to threats of legal action from certain government bodies. They had the sense to realise a website was not worth jeopardising there life over. However something different is on the way from the owners so keep an eye out.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    The site Operator put up a statement about closing registrations in the forum over there. He said the site is simply becoming too much work with the rapidly growing user base. It is not a matter of hardware, or bandwidth.

He says he oversees every aspect of the site himself, right down to answering every email he gets from the hordes of noobs that have taken to the nzb thing. He has no intention of "hiring" help, because that would mean giving up, or at least trusting others, with control of his site.

He's not worried about the money he's losing. The site generates more than enough already. Some kind of limited sign-up system is likely.

He also says that it's a good business, and encourages any competition.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    visionaryone
    Anyone making money from warez is weak, you think the scene releasers make money?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaryone
    Anyone making money from warez is weak, you think the scene releasers make money?

Yes I do.
    In the past I've use the topsites but I got tired of kissing ass and throwing money at them for hardware and god knows what else. Everything is about money. If someone can find a way to turn a buck off this shit more power to them.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    visionaryone
    I also know alot of people working for release groups and every penny they get goes to hardware/bandwidth costs, i totally agree.

However if you think the Newzbin owner needs that amount of revenue to run a site you are sorely mistaken, I reckon alot of that goes in his back pocket.

But we'll agree to disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast