Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So...who's the best guitarist?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

I'll ad my sentiment to yours, as re: Knopfler.

He throws off a new noodle of some type every time he plays.

I am an avid fan.
    My boy had been learning guitar for about a year when I got the Live Aid DVD set for Father's Day.
    The first thing I watched was Queen, then showed him Dire Straits performance of Sultans Of Swing. He was suitably impressed.
    You're kidding.

My daughter got me that set last Father's Day and the first thing we watched was the Queen performance as well as Dire Straits.

She and her husband were blown away, which was good, 'cuz the rest of the DVD is crap, due to the sound issues that cropped up.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Music   -   #22
    tsantsa
    I don't know how to rate BEST guitarist, but one that I think deserves mention above some of these guys is John Frusciante. I quite like his work. Some of his solos are up there with Hendrix, and I might say that some are above that level. The song "Hey" on the first disc of Stadium Arcadium is quite tasteful and pleasant.

3. Music   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by tsantsa
    The song...is quite tasteful and pleasant.
    Tasteful?

Pleasant?

Okay...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Music   -   #24
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by tsantsa
    The song...is quite tasteful and pleasant.
    Tasteful?

Pleasant?

Okay...
    Lawl.

Solo's aside, I find Kirk Hammett and (especially) James Hetfields performances in Fade To Black the most impressive work I've yet to encounter. That main acoustic (and the electric riff[s] for the chorus) part for the verses is just absolutely beautiful. Doesn't make them the best guitarist(s) per say, but none the less inspirational.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Music   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    Tasteful?

Pleasant?

Okay...
    Lawl.

Solo's aside, I find Kirk Hammett and (especially) James Hetfields performances in Fade To Black the most impressive work I've yet to encounter. That main acoustic (and the electric riff[s] for the chorus) part for the verses is just absolutely beautiful. Doesn't make them the best guitarist(s) per say, but none the less inspirational.
    Yes, yes, that's all well and good, but are they tasteful?

More importantly, are they pleasant?

We have criteria to meet here...

-Mark Twain

6. Music   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Although I can appreciate the technique exemplified by many guitarists (Vai, Satriani, etc.) and the sheer dexterity employed by others (although a few black beauties and lots of spare time can result in flawless speed), for just plain ole musicality it's hard to beat David Gilmour or Mark Knopfler.

Subjugating technique to the requirements of the song is a real mark of genius.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Music   -   #27
    n18's Avatar Death God
    Joe Satriani anyone?

8. Music   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Although I can appreciate the technique exemplified by many guitarists (Vai, Satriani, etc.) and the sheer dexterity employed by others (although a few black beauties and lots of spare time can result in flawless speed), for just plain ole musicality it's hard to beat David Gilmour or Mark Knopfler.

Subjugating technique to the requirements of the song is a real mark of genius.
    A point I've struggled to make.

I think I'll go listen to Monte Montgomery play When Will I, and let the day unfold as it will...

-Mark Twain

9. Music   -   #29
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think I'll go listen to Monte Montgomery play When Will I, and let the day unfold as it will...
    Enjoy your day and my best to SWMBO.
    Try not to end up like the folks in your email....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Music   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Enjoy your day and my best to SWMBO.
    Try not to end up like the folks in your email....
    Oy.

I got that from my Dad; I can't believe it.

Do your best to avoid a similar fate and greet your folks for me?

Mrs. J. sends a hug.

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast