Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The point of archived(.rar) vids on torrent sites???

Question Mark

This has bothered me for a while now because i don't understand the purpose of archiving video files on torrent sites......

i have downloaded plenty of videos from torrent sites that are not archived and i have downloaded plenty that are archived....i just don't get what the point of it is other than being an extra annoying 5-20 minute step before you can actually watch the video....plus it just seems to be yet another thing that can get screwed up (you always see the "rar fix"es on sites)

can someone shed some light on this for me
    Last edited by frozenray; 05-26-2006 at 06:01 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenray
    This has bothered me for a while now because i don't understand the purpose of archiving video files on torrent sites......

i have downloaded plenty of videos from torrent sites that are not archived and i have downloaded plenty that are archived....i just don't get what the point of it is other than being an extra annoying 5-20 minute step before you can actually watch the video....plus it just seems to be yet another thing that can get screwed up (you always see the "rar fix"es on sites)

can someone shed some light on this for me
    The point of archiving is to make the file smaller...hopfuly without too much loss of quality hence the use of rar for videos as it's best for media formats. basicly that means you download the file alot quicker which saves time in the end. besides it's not too hard to unrar usualy takes me between 10 and 30 seconds depending on the size of the file and what else my computer happens to be doing at that moment. what program do you use to unrar your files?? most people use winrar but I use filzip because I'm too cheap to buy anthing else and the pirate copy of winrar I had was always fucking up and reporting errors I haven't had that happen since I swaped about a year now...plus it does just about all formats in one little easy to use free program.
    Last edited by sear; 05-26-2006 at 06:21 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    The point of archiving is to make the file smaller...
    ummm you sure about that? i downloaded the pukka TC of the da vinci code which was 1.37 GB and after i exctracted it from the rars it was 1.36 GB

the same with the the finale of american idol....it was 710.99 MB to download and after i extracted it....it was 699 MB

so making it into a archive actually means you have more to download not less
    Last edited by frozenray; 05-26-2006 at 07:11 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    It doesn't make the file any smaller.

RAR files are used in case any part of the file is corrupt. If you downloaded an avi file that was corrupted the file is no use to you...download totally wasted.

If you downloaded say 50 rar files and one was corrupt all the uploader has to do is up that rar file separately and you can replace the corrupt file with the good one.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka
    It doesn't make the file any smaller.

RAR files are used in case any part of the file is corrupt. If you downloaded an avi file that was corrupted the file is no use to you...download totally wasted.

If you downloaded say 50 rar files and one was corrupt all the uploader has to do is up that rar file separately and you can replace the corrupt file with the good one.

thank you....i understand now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    fair enough I always assumed the whole point was to compress the file like a zip I checked it out on a few that I had and it only made a marginal difference maybe 2 or 3 meg so point taken...you learn somthing new every day
    Last edited by sear; 05-26-2006 at 08:07 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    rguinn's Avatar chemist
    Often the file is compressed either so it can be password-protected (which is really lame) or because it was simply acquired in that format in the first place, such as rar-parts from newsgroups.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Right of Right
    Also, isn't kind of a carry-over from the lower bandwidth/propogation days when people would need to be able to download it in pieces? I think it's pretty much obsolete, or maybe obs37173? I believe it makes one hardcore if they can figure out how to RAR something up into multiple files.

It gets really annoying when you download a single RAR file, which contains 100 ZIPs, each of which contains one of the (.000-.100) RAR pieces. It smacks of robbing a horse to call the kettle before they hatch.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    or because someone created the torrent from a newsgroup download

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Not only do archived files work better for retreiving corrupt rars, but it also helps the whole idea of bittorrent. You download a small section, then upload it to your peers. It also helps BT clients to identify percentage wise, who has what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast