Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer starts up, and shuts back down.

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I think the stupid thing finally had it. Yesterday when I started my computer I got this weird screen talking aobut the computer being shut down wrong, it asked me if i wanted to start windows normally, start at last good config or do safemode(command prompt, networking ect)

If I picked anything but "last good config" it would restart and go back to the screen. I turned it on today and I got the same screen, except it wont let me pick any of them. I cant get past the windows loading screen without it restarting.

this is VERY bad. I have an essay, two projects due this week and countless albums of music on there. theres no possible way I could redo these projects, and there worth 10-25% each.

What could be wrong..please tell me its not the HD. Heres a pic of the screen, sorry for the blurryness..but it should give youan idea of what im talking about.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quit screwing around with it RIGHT NOW!

Your immediate and most paramount concern should be to retrieve the data from the drive, then worry about fixing it. If the drive is failing you have a limited number of times to play with it before it goes completely toes up, don't waste them bumbling around.

Slave the drive into another PC and copy the data off it.

Once the data is safe, then-and only then- run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it and see what's going on.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Check your temps (in bios if necessary).

If you are anywhere near Seedler, I understand it is rather warm.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well, I unplugged all my usb devices and it started up. Im currently sending all my work to my usb key and I'm gonna restart it to make sure its okay.

I had a printer, card reader, webcam and mouse connected to it. Would that cause a problem?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Not unless one of them is faulty.

The webcam, mouse and card reader will all draw power. It shouldn't be enough to make any difference unless the PSU is failing.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Yeah your right, it just gave me enuff time to put my projects onto a usb key before it shut down again.

What should I do?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Have you checked your temps yet?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I dont think my comp has the censors for that. But I took it outside and had at it with the leaf blower, and blew out a storm cloud of dust for a good 5 min. Its working now, I'm running PS, Winamp, powerpoint and msn to stress it out and slow it down. Hopefully overheating was the problem.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    did a leaf blower screw it up? I always wanted to do that to my bro's computer, because he doesnt know how to maintain it...hes got a crap load of dust in there along with random hair strands, and pieces of paper...wierd
    college kids nowadays...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Nope, not at all. Im running speedfan, only two temps are comming up:

HD0: 35C
    Temp1: 22C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast