Thread: How to seed only fragments of a file?

link.king's Avatar King of Links
    I read this method somewhere arnd but cannot recall which client allowed to switch to ONLY seed mode at any point during the download!

This method can be used to maintain ratios with the help of popular torrents!

I need info plz...!
    ScT anyone....

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I use azureus and while it doesn't switch to a full seed in the middle of the download to my knowledge, I can still manually set my download speed to very low for a torrent and create the same positive effect on ratio.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by fielding
    I use azureus and while it doesn't switch to a full seed in the middle of the download to my knowledge, I can still manually set my download speed to very low for a torrent and create the same positive effect on ratio.
    That is possible with most clients by limiting the download speed as you said..But what I am referring is ONLY seed mode!
    ScT anyone....

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Try setting your upload to that file to 1 KB/s.

In azureus/utorrent you can say which files from inside a torrent you want to download. Try during the download to disable downloading all of them. It may work. I've done this on large book files of which I only wanted a few books.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    zak2210's Avatar The One BT Rep: +4
    Try this, download a portion of the torrent let's say 15%, this way you have something to seed...

Then for that torrent set your download speed at 0KB (meaning in can't download any more)

And your upload speed to whatever it usually is.

Hope this helps

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    @hermoid: Yeah...that is always there i.e. choosing the files to download during adding the torrent itself..
    But say there is only one file which is 4GBs large..then how can you stop the download after 2hrs or so?

@zak: Limiting the download speed to 0kB/s refers to allowing the torrent client to utilise the entire available bandwidth..!

See let me put it this way:

I have a low ratio-->certainly want to improve it-->methods:

1. Release Stuff(Usually only 10mbit connection users are allowed to do so and some places where user torrents are too allowed)

2. Download the most popular torrent with max. leeches (even if not useful), download a small amount and then put it to seed.! (Best way)

I hope this makes it a bit clear abt what I am asking!
    ScT anyone....

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Downloading a 4 gb file complicates...

Maintaning ratio depends on the tracker. Most of them I just download what i want and I'm able to keep my ratio ok.

Other I just wait for the ratio to go up, eventually it does.

I've failed a lot at using your second option, rarely to I find the correct "useless popular file".

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ^^ If it is useful then well and good! What I said was "even if" it is not useful! Coz you've gotta work on your ratio right?? lol

See another reason why to do the second method is:

On many trackers if you remain in-active i.e without using the tracker for a certain pre-decided period you get banned! So get the most popular file..and seed like hell! heee..
    ScT anyone....