Thread: Need help understanding newsgroups?

I'm new to the game but have made the assumption quite quickly that ISP newsgroups are not that reliable in keeping 1005 completion of files available for d/load. Seems to me most prefer the pay service over free servers?

Is there a way to scan a post that does not include a NZB file to see if all files are intact?

Also , what does the following mean File_Title.vol000+01.PAR2 and so on, this followed the posting which was made up of .RAR files?

After I have successfully downloaded a file do I click on the PAR2 file in order to have QuickPar determine if everyfile is intact?

Thanks for your help, just trying to get an idea of what info is being provided in the post

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Yes, some ISPs offer usenet for free. However, in general they are poorly maintained with short retention for binaries (if binaries are even offered) - usually just a few days. This makes downloading files much harder.

Pay services have much greater retention, some for as much as three months with a 99.9% retention rate, meaning all parts of the file are present and have not be accidently deleted early.

RAR is the popular format for files on usenet. It is a compression method, also it allows segments of a file to be spread across multiple post. WinRAR is the program used to decompress the content into a useable format.

PAR files are "check" files that can tell you if you have the entire post, and if any part of it is damaged. If it is they also function as repair files that can correct you download or make up missing pieces. You are correct that QuickPar is the program to use with PAR files.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thanks for the quick relpy.

I am also trying out Grabit latest version, I understand that what I'm looking for are postings that are black in colour with minimal or no red text at all. If lets say red takes up 1/2 or 3/4 of the post then it is either still being uploaded or my ISP has removed it already, Yes?

Bottom line I believe my ISP server is poor in quality..........

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I am not familiar with the layout of the grabit client. In fact it is a rare day that I go searching Usenet for files manually. Most of the time I just download a nzb file, if someone else is willing to do the searching for me that makes things that much easier.

If 1/2 or 3/4 of a post is missing then there is little chance of you getting whatever it is. PAR files can make up for a few missing parts, but not to such a great extent as half of it missing.

If you think your ISP is poor in quality, there is little doubt that it is. Most ISPs' simply neglect thier news servers to such a point that they are all but useless to a file downloader (that is probably the point too). It would probably be a good idea to look into a permium service. For a few dollars a month you get everything posted for months, full connection speed, and the most sercurity of any form of piracy.