Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1000.00 Usd

Poster
    Hey all-

I was curious what computer (computer only - without monitor, printer, etc.) you would buy if you had up to $1000.00 USD to spend on it?

I am getting ready to purchase a new one, and here are my uses:

1. Work - I work with AutoCAD everyday, so needs great processor, memory, and video card.
    2. Music - I think you know what I mean here - CDS, MP3S, etc.
    3. Video - I plan to buy a digital video camera and would like to get into editing and some small home movie making.
    4. Play - Gaming is not a huge factor, but I do enjoy an occasional Tony Hawk or Mat Hoffman session.
    5. ???? - whatever else you can think of which would be of interest.

My innitial thoughts:

-P4 processor
    -Plenty of USB 2.0 ports
    -Firewire port(s)
    -CD writer
    -DVD drive (maybe a DVD writer for the film stuff???)
    -Video card with ??? memory
    -Awesome sound card
    -Operating System??? Leaning toward XP Pro
    -I will be setting up a network upon the purchase of the new computer, so anything I may want to consider with that in mind?

All your thoughts on the above info. and any additional suggestions are appreciated as well.

Thanks for your help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Hey Todd,
    It looks like your initial thoughts are right on. An AMD processor may be cheaper though.
    I wouldn't worry about firewire or USB, they can always be added very cheaply. Although firewire would be great for connecting a digital camcorder.

A large hardrive(80Gb or better) will be absolutely necessary for any video storage and/or editing. 7200rpm(vs 5400rpm) is the way to go

DDR(double data rate) RAM is highly recommended and is more or less standard anymore. SD RAM is passé.

You can always add a decent sound card so no worries there. The same goes with your graphics card. What I mean is, if you're unhappy with either you can always change them. Decent ones can be had for less than $100. Stay away from on-board audio or video.

If you are just buying the CPU(sans the monitor and other peripherals) than $1000 will be more than enough.

Stay away from Compaq, HP, Packard Bell. Mass produced PCs tend to have inferior motherboards not very suitable for upgrading.

XP Pro is probably more than you need. Spend that extras $100 on something you'll actually use. This page at the Microsoft site shows the differences. On the whole, very minor for the home user.

Unless you get a good deal, hold off on getting a DVD burner. The prices are dropping and will continue. It may be cheaper to add it later.

Shop around. There are local shops in my area that sell barebones systems(no monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.) for well under $1000 and meet or exceed all of your needs. Hell, they use the same components as the big mfg.

Better still, if you can buy a PC sans the O/S, than you can do a clean install. Mass produced PCs only come with a pitiful "restore" disk. Not really a standalone O/S. I mean it is still Windows but it's that mfg. brand of windows with all the crap they've added(i.e. support software).

IMO: In the end, building your own from scratch(if you have the knowledge), will yield better results.

Hope that helps a bit

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    harrycary-

Thanks for the reply! You make somd great points, most of which I was kinda thinking about already, but it's always good to know I am at least headed in the right direction.

I am planning on at least a 120 GIG HDD.

DDR - thanks for the tip.

Adding or changing some of the minor things later is a great thought - and I will probably be doing some of that.

Yes, I plan to stay away from the big Mfg.s, as they always add a bunch of to the systems. I will either buy at a local shop or have a friend help me build the system.

I'll take a look at that ms page regarding the differences between XP Pro and XP Home.

Good tip on the DVD burner - thanks - I'll wait until later and save the $$!

Your reply has been appreciated. It's always nice to have other people's imput. I'm hoping others who have purchased recently or have done some research will reply as well, so that I can juggle all the ideas and come up with something I want.

Thanks again!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Cool, good luck with it...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    harrycary-

I clicked on your link:

I recommend this for IE users everywhere.
    What a great little app! I've been using ieSpell for a long time, and couldn't imagine life without it!

Anyone who reads this post - go check it out - you will not be disappointed!

Thanks again.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    No doubt.

When I'm in a forum, sometimes it's difficult to understand posts.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by harrycary@1 May 2003 - 09:47
    Stay away from on-board audio or video.

OH GOD YES!
    You won't be able to ugrade, trust me I know!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    http://www.ibuypower.com

That is all you need you will literally get the lowest prices for the best computer imaginable.

That site is the SHIZZNESS!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster

I love that picture of Smileys Todd.Never seen that one before.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    With that kind of cash, you can build your own super pc with money left over (maybe).

I wouldn't know where to start. As I stated before, somewhere, that I shop at those computer shows. Like a child in a candy store.

Since you like AutoCAD, the folowing will work great!

I'd go for the Pentium4 3.0 ghz mother board(no less than 533mHz side bus speed). The newest GeForce video card (MUST have for AutoCAD 3D - this will cost a LOT!!!!!!!!!!!&#33. A cabinet with proper sized power supply. Sound isn't important to me, so any sound card will do (sound is sound, unless you are a MIDI freak). Optical mouse.

Make sure the motherboard has USBs (some come with 4 USBs). Onboard FIRWIRE is good to have. Modems are cheap, same with LAN for networking.

Use the leftover money for RAM. Nothing less than 512MB for starters.

XP Pro corporate is a good choice (50% off - $149.00 at those shows).

I assume that you may already have a monitor ( buy mine used, for cheap prices, with 3 year warranty - about $60.00 for 17" screen, or $160.00 for 21"). Those are a personal choice. Speakers are cool! I got a super nice set for $28.00 new and they kick ass with that loud BASS box, under my desk.

Plextor is a GREAT CD burner, but if you are not pirating, then a 32X Panasonic burner for $32.00 will get you going.

Keyboards are cheap ($5.00)! 52x CDROM drives, at $15.00.

Video Capture? I am not sure on this. I tried about 3 different brands, and all of them are about the same. I currently have ATI TV Wonder and it does a great job. It features a DVD video capture for burning home movies onto DVDRs.

If you are fortunate enough to have a monthly computer show in your area, you can buld a nice PC for that $1,000.00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast