Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit Torrent butchering my connection

kAb's Avatar Poster
    I have recently stopped using e-mule because of the constant loss of internet connection. So I discovered azureus which to my delight was much faster anyways. But of course there is a down to every up. My internet connection cannot stay connected long enough to download a file. It seems it initially worked great. But now I run bit torrent and my connection dies almost immediately, and then for the rest of the day resets every couple minutes. Even typing this it has reset two times. I have comcast, and the internet connection is split through a router to multiple computers. Any ideas why my connection is dying so often?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    LinkS v2.0's Avatar LinkS BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    you have too many open connections try 50 or less
    Mr Angry

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Test just using your modem. I just upgraded my router because it could not handle all the connections. Make sure and patch your TCPIP.SYS from 10 to 100 http://www.lvllord.de/ . Hope this helps.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    what is strange is that I don't even have to have any open connections for it to crash. Azureus just has to be open and it'll crash.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Does your modem reset/reboot? It might sound stupid but I know for a fact that when I max out my 6mb download speed for an extended amount of time my modem will reboot itself during that maxed out period. Any other time, during normal use that is, the modem never skips a beat. Sounds pretty stupid but I've witnessed this for over a year now. It hasn't bothered me enough to swap out the modem because it pops right back on within a minute or two of disconnecting. I work for the company (Time Warner) and I've talked to the head end/node engineers and they've told me that a modem should not reset if it's being maxed out per its BIN file. The modem I'm using, a Toshiba 2600, is rated for 10mb up and down simultaneously. It's probably a faulty modem but I'm too lazy to swap it.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kAb
    what is strange is that I don't even have to have any open connections for it to crash. Azureus just has to be open and it'll crash.
    Try using utorrent instead on az http://www.utorrent.com/

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I had the same problem when I was using utorrent and azureus but now i'm downloading with Bittornado with no such problems.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rott3n
    Quote Originally Posted by kAb

please dont shove programs down other peoples throats
    Mr Angry

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkS v2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rott3n

please dont shove programs down other peoples throats

"Use uTorrent or I'll fucking kill you" would fall under the "shoving down your throat" category. His statement sounded more like a recommendation. Besides... AZ sucks in comparison to uTorrent.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare

"Use uTorrent or I'll fucking kill you" would fall under the "shoving down your throat" category. His statement sounded more like a recommendation. Besides... AZ sucks in comparison to uTorrent.

what does utorrent do exactly that az does not?
    Mr Angry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast