Thread: stupid itunes

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I have my shiny scratch filled ipod video nowadays and all my music in itunes. A few days ago it told me itunes needed an update, so I give it the go ahead and walk away, and I guess before it finished installing my computer bsod's, due to an unrealated issue I have since solved. Now Itunes will not open, it crashes as soon as I click it, and doesn't give any real error message, I uninstalled, and reinstalled and same thing.

My thoughts are, even though the uninstall needed a restart to clear the registry it was complete, and if you guys think this is the case, how do I fully remove itunes, or that the new version is borked, which I've hear nothing about.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Try uninstalling it, then going into your Program Files and deleteing the iTunes Folder and anythiing related.

Also, make sure your iPod is unplugged when you do all of the reinstall.

On a side, iTunes is a terrible piece of software imo. I highly recommend the Winamp iPod plugin. It can be found here:

http://www.mlipod.com/
    Last edited by Skizo; 06-18-2006 at 11:13 AM.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    iTunes installs all sorts of crap.
    I found uninstalling it left QT on the system as well as some sort of interface that Device Manager told me couldn't have it's drivers updated even after re-installing iTunes.

Uninstall everything from Apple you can find, then browse through your hard drive for their crap and delete it.
    Places to look:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\
    C:\Program Files\Common Files
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data
    After this, run a decent registry cleaner and fix the references to all those files and folders you just deleted.

Next open regedit and search/delete anythin itunes realted (search for itumes) but BE VERY CAREFUL... it's better to leave something you're not sure of than remove something critical.

Then go back to your registry cleaner and scan for more errors - you'll probably find a load of activex keys that are now broken and can be fixed.

Then either re-install itunes or, even better, install the WinAmp plugin.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    sweet thanks guys, ill give this all a shot later tonight.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    alright over a fucking week later I have some time to fiddle, I'm trying the winamp plugin first since its easier and itunes is a bit evil, ill let you guys know what happens.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    that winamp plugin works like a champ thanks skiz.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Glad you got it sorted.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008