Thread: Is Name Brand Ram Worth To Buy?

Poster
    I want to get a new computer soon so i was wondering is worth it to get a name brand ram like corsair or kingston. I have seen many other companies that have the same computer such as heat spreaders and copper shit whatever. Like this company called GEIL which i had never heard of before untill i seached on http://www.newegg.com for 512 pc 3200 ddr sdram.

So is their a really big difference or what?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Last year, GEIL was selling high end ram with heat spreaders. Unfortunately, they also like to use slower ram that's been overclocked! That's why they love heat spreaders to hide the chip markings. Some of my friend swear they're great but I'm staying away.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    imo, it's worth buying more expensive ram. i've got corsair xms3500 ram, and have had no problems whatsoever with it. it allows me to run tight timings (2-2-2-5) at 333MHz
    if you just want your computer to do normal tasks like internet and word processing, then there's no point buying expensive ram. if you want to play games, then maybe it's worth spending a bit more to ensure maximum performance and reliability
    at the end of the day though, it's up to you

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Look in the Sunday newspaper for memory rebates. You can save a lot of money and still get high quality memory.

------------------------
    I never had problems with generic or name brand memory. I think my PC has PNY brand of memory, but I can't remember.