Thread: Super cooled chip reaches 500 gigahertz

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    IBM CORP.

Super-chilled chip is super-fast
    IBM, Georgia Tech researchers say semiconductor hit 500 gigahertz

By David Ho

NEW YORK BUREAU

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

NEW YORK — In an advance with implications for the future of electronics, communications and even moon exploration, Georgia Tech and IBM Corp. are announcing today that they have set a microchip speed record by applying freezing temperatures found naturally only in outer space.

By using liquid helium to cool a chip to 451 degrees below zero, researchers achieved a speed of 500 billion cycles per second, or 500 gigahertz.

It is a first for silicon-based technology and an indicator that today's low-cost microchip production techniques have a long future ahead of them.

"It's a new milestone," said John Cressler, a professor and researcher with Georgia Tech's School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Georgia Electronic Design Center.

The frozen chip's speed rating should not be confused with the gigahertz speeds popularly used to describe personal-computer performance, the researchers said. The new results refer to how fast a transistor, the smallest part of a chip, can switch an electrical current on and off in a useful way.

This will not let you "build a 500-gigahertz computer," Cressler said.

Using the technology commercially in its current form is impractical, he said. "You're not going to carry around liquid helium" to freeze the chips, he said. But the work could help improve technology requiring great processing speeds, including radar-using "adaptive cruise control" for cars and systems for handling Internet traffic, said David Ahlgren, an IBM senior engineering manager.

Other potential applications include defense electronics and remote sensing, in which information is gathered at a distance for use in medicine, oil exploration or other fields.

Just knowing such speeds are possible points the way to improved technology that works at room temperature, Cressler said.

Having much faster chips also means existing devices could operate at their current speeds but use less power, which could mean longer talk times for cell phones, Ahlgren said.

"It shows there's plenty of envelope that can still be pushed," said Dan Olds, principal analyst with the Gabriel Consulting Group in Oregon.

The experiments at Georgia Tech's cryogenic lab are intended to explore the speed limits of chips made from silicon germanium, which operate faster when very cold. Germanium is added to traditional silicon technology to improve efficiency, creating chips useful for low-power, high-speed applications.

Other firms working with the technology include Austin-based Freescale Semiconductor Inc., Texas Instruments Inc. and Sony Corp.

Georgia Tech is working with NASA to build electronic systems for a return to the moon, a deeply cold place where the new chip could function.

Because of temperature extremes, NASA has to keep electronics in a "warm box," Cressler said.

What is it? Silicon germanium chilled to almost the coldest temperature possible.

How does it work? Researchers used liquid helium to cool the chip, which then performed at record speeds.

Source: http://www.statesman.com/business/co...rozenchip.html

yo

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Awesome. Too bad it's not necessarily a 500 gig processor...because that would be amazing.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Call me a complete nerd but I find this to be extremely fascinating and exciting. Am I supposed to be foaming at the mouth right now?

The next step is not about cooling the chip in outer space, but how to bring outer space onto earth to cool the chip

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare
    The next step is not about cooling the chip in outer space, but how to bring outer space onto earth to cool the chip
    Read again. They did.

ps - Why did this post just appear? I posted it hours ago. It never appeared, so I posted it in HardwareWorld.

yo

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare
    Read again. They did.

ps - Why did this post just appear? I posted it hours ago. It never appeared, so I posted it in HardwareWorld.

This forum is moderated so it takes a little while sometimes .

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Stupit Geek
    *Drools, lols ! Too bad its not a consumer product, haha :p

Kinson.
    AMD Athlon64 939 (Venice) 3000+
    DFI LAN Party UT nF3 Ultra-D
    Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT
    200GB Western Digital/8MB Buffer
    Leadtek GeForce FX 5600

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    The top speed achived in the Indian IBM R&D center was 340Mhz useing this way but whats odd is that earlier they used dry ice rather than helium...

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Ibm are obviously preparing this computer to run windows vista for testing purposes.