Thread: running P2P softwares on cable net connection ??

yesterday I left dial-up and switched to Cable internet service .My internet
    speed is quite good now. I can surf and download at faster rates now.

But I m having trouble getting my P2P softwares to work (emule plus, Bit
    torrent) now. Cable operator installed a firewall client on my system which is
    necessary to conenct to internet. An image of it is attached in this post. with
    settings mentioned.

Now the problem is this. I surf internet on browsers without any difficulty ,
    without mentioning any proxy address in

Tools -> Internet options -> Connections

but dont know what to do with my P2P softwares. by the way I tried diferent permutations and combinaiotns of proxies in them i.e mentioning HTTP, SoCKS4, SOCKS5 etc.. but m not expert here.

I use Windows Xp (and 98 too) with NO firewall or anythign else.

Last edited by nabeelisnabeel; 06-21-2006 at 04:00 AM.
    Crazy about filesharing

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    a strange thing happend some minutes ago.

I have been trying with Bit Tirrent and emule. my Emule PLus was not connecting properly. it tried many servers and then got a LOW ID problem. I tried to search network and error came "you are not connected to network."

Then I run Emlul v0.47 and it connected successfully without entering any changes to firewall/proxy. But now emule freeezes every 3 seconds approx. for some seconds. I searched the networo now and I got results. I started one download and now it is always in waiting state. And now at the time of this wriiting, emule has been not responding for 5 minutes.
    Crazy about filesharing

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    What crazy ISP uses ISA server?

It is unlikely that the ISP will configure their ISA server to allow incoming connections so you will allways be low-id.

If the ISP has lots of customers behind the same ISA server then the emule servers will see a number of emule users trying to connect from the same ip so you may have difficulty getting on a good server. You can try Kad but it probably won't work.

Regarding emule not responding, try lowering the maximum number of connections in emule preferances to say 20 and put the "max new connections/5second" setting in extended settings down to 1.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I try these settings and inform you after that..
    Crazy about filesharing

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Seems a NAT issue that needs port fowarding though not sure how in that situation. Try asking them I guess. Wondering if thats Cable or DSL connection. What company are you using anyway...

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    snowprince's Avatar Animation Collector
    Nabeel, what is your cable speed?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    my connection is not a DSL. its a cable connection provided by some cable connection provider. And how HE gets his connection, dont know. (Most use high seed satellite connection).

my cable speed ranges from 4Kb/s to 40Kb/s.
    Crazy about filesharing

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    a question though...

when we hear about the bittorrent uses 6647 port. or lets say XYZ port to connect to peers. is this port on my PC or the other peer pc.

I have opened all the ports of my PC. wahts the issue then ?
    Crazy about filesharing

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    its a cable connection provided by some cable connection provider. And how HE gets his connection, dont know. (Most use high seed satellite connection).
    No they do not. Satellite bandwidth is much more expensive than copper or optical fibre in the ground. It takes several seconds for information to go up to a satellite and come back down which makes interactive internet use annoying. A satellite connection is a point to point connection, like a cat5 cable, it dosn't send traffic the the thousands of different ISP's worldwide by magic. Cable ISP's buy bandwidth from transit ISP's and have peer conenctions to other ISP's. In Europe ISP's that serve end users transfer most traffic through peering, In the USA a dozen or so big networks carry most of the traffic between ISP's.

when we hear about the bittorrent uses 6647 port. or lets say XYZ port to connect to peers. is this port on my PC or the other peer pc.
    If your computer is reachable it's both.

If you are low-id/NATed without portforwarding/firewalled then your computer can open connections to peer that are reachable but peers can't initate a connection to you.

I have opened all the ports of my PC.
    No you have not. Firstly only ports that a program is listening on are
    open, second you won't get incoming connections unless the ISA server is
    configured to forward a port to you.

wahts the issue then ?
    Read the answers you have been given.
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 07-09-2006 at 05:40 AM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    zaphodiv.. Liked ur answers.
    Crazy about filesharing