Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HBO Busted me d/ling Entourage today

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    @tetrakis you attributed a quote to me. You are mistaken. Those are not my words.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Quote Originally Posted by gish
    you say Torrents are unsafe, maybe but not as much as P2P like limewire. also,let me guess your other method to get files is to pay for them. if not what else is there??

Newsgroups.
    Yeah, that and IRC... unless of course the servers you are using are owned by them.

but yeah, even with peerguardian, anyone can find your IP address on bit torrent. Because you get the entire swarm's IPs without even connecting to all of them. And enabling/disabling DHT doesnt protect you in any way.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    I personally use fulDC for anything that is not new new. Only thing I download from bitorrernt are new episodes of lost/ncis and every once in a while a new dvd.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    What is fulDC and how can I learn more about it?

5. File Sharing   -   #25

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken
    ....and that equals total safety.
    A fool's dream.
    There's no such thing as "total safety", other than just not doing it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakis
    The solution to me is simple...no broadcasting of IP, nobody knows where you are.
    Nor would the data that you're trying to retrieve.
    Therefore, you would never get it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetje
    Probably your IT department detected traffic using other ports, monitored that traffic and uses this trick to stop you .....

That's common behaviour in some companies. My guess that the IT department needs the bandwith for their own p2p
    Nah. Us IT guys just walk up to em personally and tell em to knock their shit off or else we'll repo their PC and make em go back to pen & paper.
    Then we go back to chewing up network bandwidth with online tourneys of Doom and Duke Nukem.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    When you use newsgroups to d/l, can the MPAA/RIAA log you?
    and if they can is it practical for them at all... ?

Also, if they were to take a list of all the peers in the swarm, would they be able to prove
    that you were actually downloading the file and not just reporting to the tracker or something,
    without connecting to you?
    Last edited by somedude4; 06-26-2006 at 05:21 AM.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by somedude4
    When you use newsgroups to d/l, can the MPAA/RIAA log you?
    and if they can is it practical for them at all... ?

Also, if they were to take a list of all the peers in the swarm, would they be able to prove
    that you were actually downloading the file and not just reporting to the tracker or something,
    without connecting to you?
    With Usenet, most people upload nothing. It is current policy of the RIAA/MPAA only to take legal action against uploaders and not downloaders.

When using newsgroups the MPAA/RIAA can't log you. You're making a direct connection to your company's server, no peers. The only way they could find out would be to sue that usenet carrier for your information, which most usenet carriers do not maintain. None the less, it would have to go to court and everyone and their grandma would know about it before it ever happened.

Usenet has been around since 1979. In it's 27 year history this has never happened. As such, I would think it is unlikely that it will happen any time soon.

With BT, from the swarm they could get all the information they need to take you to court if they want to. They can get your IP and how much of the file you currently have. If you have any percent of the file and you are connected to the swarm there is intent to distribute copyrighted material which is illegal. So they really have no need to connect to you directly.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    @fkdup74
    I believe that you taking what I wrote out of context totally bastardized the point I was trying to make. You also added a word into my mouth that never was written.

I wrote...

"I believe there is still the option of not sharing anything with limewire and that equals total safety."

Currently, not sharing is safe. The MPAA/RIAA is not sueing those that only download. Their strategy is simple, cut off the head and the rest will die. By not sharing in these lower p2p apps you are doing the "powers that be", a favor by taking and not giving. It would destroy the network if everyone did it.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    @fkdup74

Sounds about right, I work as an Onsite Supporter and that is exactly what we do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast