Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bryant Gumbel...On The World Cup

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    From I gather, bratland has 3 main sports, rugby, soccer, and cricket. I imagine the brats are decent at every one of them.
    You're joking aren't you?

We excel at being crap at our favourite sports. That's why we like underdogs so much

The only sports we're any good at are snooker, darts, and shove ha'penny. Anything you can play in a pub, really.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    From I gather, bratland has 3 main sports, rugby, soccer, and cricket. I imagine the brats are decent at every one of them.

We excel at being crap at our favourite sports. That's why we like underdogs so much

The only sports we're any good at are snooker, darts, and shove ha'penny. Anything you can play in a pub, really.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #23

I thought guys were good at that stuff. The brats certainly are better than the US at soccer (but yet who isn't). I always figured bratland a soccer powerhouse.....since you invented the sport and allodat.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #24
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Yeah we basically agree but there are other reasons why the US couldn't be the best, even if everyone there was nuts about footie. Sure, there is a huge pool but the established countries already have every kid wanting to play soccer for his country and have systems that have been honed over generations and maintained thro' continued devotion and obsession.

It would take at least 50 years for a soccer obsessed USA to be a genuine contender for the World Cup, I think.
    It would take 50 years for USA to be genuinely soccer obsessed.

Other than that, if we were obsessed, if wouldn't take long at all to be a mere contender. I think other countries would have been better a long time ago at basketball...if it was their main sport. Our baseball teams are comprised of many Hispanics that are from countries where their main sport is....baseball.

From I gather, bratland has 3 main sports, rugby, soccer, and cricket. I imagine the brats are decent at every one of them. Your best at soccer can kick ass, our best at basketball can kick ass.
    You've already had the 50 years, I think the USA's most famous victory in the World Cup was a 1-0 defeat of England in nineteen fifty-something.

What I'm saying is that if the US somehow became magically obsessed like, say, Brazil are, it would still take a long time for them to get to Brazil's standard because of the generations of experience Brazil have had competing at the highest level and the way they bring the kids thro'.

It's one thing having the raw talent, it's another entirely turning that into a successful international team.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    We invented alot of sports, but all those people are dead now

The English Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world for {what you call} soccer, but that is really because the large amounts of money paid to the players can now attract some of the very best foreign talent. Some view this as good for the English game, because the skillful foreign players are good role models for the youngsters, and the general standard of play improves, but I think the jury's still out on that one

There's alot wrong with the English game. We've got some exceptional home-grown players, but the management at international level is a bit suspect, and they never really gel. Alot of people say they play too many games in the domestic league and cup competitions, and so by the end of the season, they are all knackered. Also, because of the power the clubs wield in the game, the players don't get to spend enough time together to prepare properly for major international competitions, which is why they always seem to underperform.

The FA (English Football Association) is a bit of a joke too.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    manker's Avatar effendi

I thought guys were good at that stuff. The brats certainly are better than the US at soccer (but yet who isn't). I always figured bratland a soccer powerhouse.....since you invented the sport and allodat.
    England are a top ten team but, sadly, hardly ever a top five team.

It's like a lot of things, Wimbledon is the most prestigious tennis competition, every player wants to win that more than any other and it gets good ratings on the TV over here - but the last British bloke that won the thing was Fred Perry in the 1930s. We usually suck at cricket too but Lords (cricket ground) is thought of as 'The Home of Cricket'.

In the UK, we talk a good game
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #27
    We invented alot of sports, but all those people are dead now

The English Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world for {what you call} soccer, but that is really because the large amounts of money paid to the players can now attract some of the very best foreign talent. Some view this as good for the English game, because the skillful foreign players are good role models for the youngsters, and the general standard of play improves, but I think the jury's still out on that one

There's alot wrong with the English game. We've got some exceptional home-grown players, but the management at international level is a bit suspect, and they never really gel. Alot of people say they play too many games in the domestic league and cup competitions, and so by the end of the season, they are all knackered. Also, because of the power the clubs wield in the game, the players don't get to spend enough time together to prepare properly for major international competitions, which is why they always seem to underperform.

The FA (English Football Association) is a bit of a joke too.
    Ok that makes sense. Even our NBA has top foreign players but come Olympic time they will play for their home countries.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #28

It's like a lot of things, Wimbledon is the most prestigious tennis competition, every player wants to win that more than any other and it gets good ratings on the TV over here - but the last British bloke that won the thing was Fred Perry in the 1930s. We usually suck at cricket too but Lords (cricket ground) is thought of as 'The Home of Cricket'.

Apparently, the US' problem is either shit international management (the last 2 world basketball competitions) and players not caring for the international competition.

Hell I wonder if soccer was huge here would we play in the World Cup.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #29
    manker's Avatar effendi

Apparently, the US' problem is either shit international management (the last 2 world basketball competitions) and players not caring for the international competition.

The players that play in the World Cup, and play well, get millions added to their transfer value. The global nature of the competition and the transfer market make this competition totally different from the other team sports that the US compete in.

There would be enough money to be gained by playing in it to keep even the most ultra-capitalist, non-patriotic US soccer player breaking his neck to star in it.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

The players that play in the World Cup, and play well, get millions added to their transfer value. The global nature of the competition and the transfer market make this competition totally different from the other team sports that the US compete in.

There would be enough money to be gained by playing in it to keep even the most ultra-capitalist, non-patriotic US soccer player breaking his neck to star in it.
    OIC....somewhat. Transfer value?

To your last, there has to be enough interest in soccer first. That starts at the US market level first.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast