Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryant Gumbel...On The World Cup

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    The rest of the world could care less if the US finds the World Cup interesting.

Good point but funny how when the good Euro teams come over to North America for friendlies ,you can't buy a ticket its all sold out .

I just meant it would be good for the game .

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Part of the problem is the no time outs lest the referee calls it , no time for commercials in this grand game . Wont work for the American networks , now if they split it in to 4 quarters ..........

I'm going to run and hide !
    One thing I do hate about running clocks is that a team that is up can lollygag around to fuck up the time. I mean we have it in pick-up basketball game and tournaments.

I hate it. We are down by a point and some fuck-head decides to take his merry gay ass time taking the ball out.

The stoppages in last nights NBA Finals were fucking nail-biters. Every Dallas fan had chewed off down to their cuticles. I loved it.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    The rest of the world could care less if the US finds the World Cup interesting.

Good point but funny how when the good Euro teams come over to North America for friendlies ,you can't buy a ticket its all sold out .

The soccer stadium outsells the hockey arena (even by percentage) in DC

Fact.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 06-22-2006 at 12:39 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    manker's Avatar effendi

The game doesn't really need North America and I don't think it would improve the game if every single North American was suddenly mad about soccer.

The African teams have enriched the game because of intangible reasons but in a technical sense, well, might sound harsh but it wouldn't make much of a difference if they didn't bother. The standard of football in the World Cup would be the same.

What I'm trying to say is that if the US suddenly became good, no-one would care because they wouldn't capture the imagination like any other plucky underdog and it's not as if they're going to be better than Brazil or Argentina.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #15

The game doesn't really need North America and I don't think it would improve the game if every single North American was suddenly mad about soccer.

The African teams have enriched the game because of intangible reasons but in a technical sense, well, might sound harsh but it wouldn't make much of a difference if they didn't bother. The standard of football in the World Cup would be the same.

What I'm trying to say is that if the US suddenly became good, no-one would care because they wouldn't capture the imagination like any other plucky underdog and it's not as if they're going to be better than Brazil or Argentina.
    ....as evidenced by our shit performance against the Shreks.

We won't be as good, for one thing, because it is not our main sport. Imagine our entire country being soccer fanatics. That would be a huge pot to pick the best from. I imagine if soccer was even the number 3 sport here, that we'd be better. Maybe it's our commercial nature. Not enough money in it.

However, we have football, baseball, basketball, and even hockey beating it out. Soccer doesn't enter into even the imagination of most Americans so it is relegated to a paltry sector of our populace in comparison to an England or Brazil. Everyone seems to be trying to be the next Jordan, Bonds, or Peyton.

Even though I don't really watch or like soccer, I want our country to be the best. I don't care if it was the luge, discus throw, or even...soccer.

Right now it seems our soccer team is average/below average.

....but I do like upsets. If we lose to gonna, that's wut wheel B...upset.

I don't think the game needs North America either. We aren't involved in it, for the most part, already.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 06-22-2006 at 01:40 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yeah we basically agree but there are other reasons why the US couldn't be the best, even if everyone there was nuts about footie. Sure, there is a huge pool but the established countries already have every kid wanting to play soccer for his country and have systems that have been honed over generations and maintained thro' continued devotion and obsession.

It would take at least 50 years for a soccer obsessed USA to be a genuine contender for the World Cup, I think.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Yeah we basically agree but there are other reasons why the US couldn't be the best, even if everyone there was nuts about footie. Sure, there is a huge pool but the established countries already have every kid wanting to play soccer for his country and have systems that have been honed over generations and maintained thro' continued devotion and obsession.

It would take at least 50 years for a soccer obsessed USA to be a genuine contender for the World Cup, I think.

No disrespect Manker , but we may find out in a years time in my back yard when we host the U18 world Cup in Canada .

Sorry not sure if its u18 or just youth World Cup .

Its u17 World Cup . Funny thing is we gots Busyman ,talking soccer !

Link : http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,...=U17&year=2007
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-22-2006 at 02:27 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Sorry don't mean to troll but this is interesting :

The defending champions and several fancied nations failed to make the finals in Luxembourg as a host of emerging sides upset the odds....

Gee do you think at 15 or 16 they might discover girls , video games the groping coaches hands ? And say to hell with it ?

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

It would take 50 years for USA to be genuinely soccer obsessed.

Other than that, if we were obsessed, if wouldn't take long at all to be a mere contender. I think other countries would have been better a long time ago at basketball...if it was their main sport. Our baseball teams are comprised of many Hispanics that are from countries where their main sport is....baseball.

From I gather, bratland has 3 main sports, rugby, soccer, and cricket. I imagine the brats are decent at every one of them. Your best at soccer can kick ass, our best at basketball can kick ass.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

No disrespect Manker , but we may find out in a years time in my back yard when we host the U18 world Cup in Canada .

Sorry not sure if its u18 or just youth World Cup .

Its u17 World Cup . Funny thing is we gots Busyman ,talking soccer !

Link : http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,...=U17&year=2007
    Hell I'll talk about anything. It doesn't I'll watch it.

I recall the Winter Olympics.......
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast