Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: I Am An American

echidna's Avatar Poster
    Quite often people from England will say their nationality is British, however people from Wales will say their nationality is Welsh, and people from Scotland will say their nationality is Scottish.
    that's because the irish, scotish and welsh are distinctly different cultures which have been asymilated by the british under force of arms
    the languages were banned along with the cultures and nationalism, since its in the medium past the cultural identification is strong
    the liberalisation of english attitudes about the threat of the welsh and scots and the establishment of the Rep. of I [and all that that entails] gives good reason for many people differentiating
    i have a friend who is 'cornish' and she gets very upset if you mistake her for english and i'm sure most people in england would have thought that cornwall was in england

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by echidna@9 May 2003 - 12:42
    i have a friend who is 'cornish' and she gets very upset if you mistake her for english and i'm sure most people in england would have thought that cornwall was in england
    Cornwall is in England. Check any map. Your friend needs to chill out a bit..

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by barbarossa+9 May 2003 - 08:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 9 May 2003 - 08:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--echidna@9 May 2003 - 12:42
    Cornwall is in England. Check any map. Your friend needs to chill out a bit.. [/b][/quote]
    echidna's friend is a game hen, so her pique is understandable.

This thread has developed a distinctly nomadic flavor.

I am off to purchase the requisite portable living quarters (A tent). B)
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by barbarossa+9 May 2003 - 13:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 9 May 2003 - 13:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--echidna@9 May 2003 - 12:42
    Cornwall is in England. Check any map. Your friend needs to chill out a bit.. [/b][/quote]
    I agree with her, she's not...Cornwall even has its own 'official' language.

Im from Newcastle and I dont class myself as 'English'............dont think there is any 'Angle' blood in me, I have much more in common with the Scots than the English, and Im not a Scot either (although Im North of Hadrians Wall, so the Romans would have called me that)

Just because the 'map' says it doesnt mean its so..afterall the 'English' (Ordnance Survey) print the maps of Britain...ask any Basque in Spain if he's Spanish.

that's because the irish, scotish and welsh are distinctly different cultures which have been asymilated by the british under force of arms
    I beg to differ....The English subjugated the rest of Britain......the peoples in Britain are all British as they live in the British Isles.

The Languages were never banned, however everyone had to be able to speak English (even if only a second language)...in fact Welsh and Scottish Gaelic is still going strong today (especially Welsh).

There are 7 'official' languages in the UK, and always have been, since the Normans.

Edit: The English did make wearing a Kilt illegal at one point....does that count?
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 03:56 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567