Thread: Motherboard Question

With INTEL, whats the difference between socket 478 and 423?
    Also, would it be a good idea to go with the 875 chipset?
    (That is, assuming I go with intel. I'm still doing research, hence the question )

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    The 423 was the origanal socket for the P4. It was replaced by the 478. I bought the P4 when it first came out (SOCKET423), so when I upgrade..basically I will have to get a new mainboard

My advice, if you want it is to not buy brand new products. Wait a bit to see if they work, as claimed. Wait to see what/how the compitition responds

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    The 478 is a smaller sized chip. It basically is the same as the older one, however, the 478 chip is now the standard, which means you should get that. It is newer, has updated features, and is compatible with the new motherboards. Finding a new motherboard for the 423 is going to be difficult.

I recommend that you get an intel motherboard for the intel Pentium4 CPU. They both work very well together. My kid's computer is setup that way, and it operates very smooth.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Great, thanks.
    I'm going to do some more "hen-pecking" , but it looks like intel for me B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Spindulik@2 May 2003 - 12:05
    The 478 is a smaller sized chip. It basically is the same as the older one, however, the 478 chip is now the standard, which means you should get that. It is newer, has updated features, and is compatible with the new motherboards. Finding a new motherboard for the 423 is going to be difficult.

I recommend that you get an intel motherboard for the intel Pentium4 CPU. They both work very well together. My kid's computer is setup that way, and it operates very smooth.
    You have some great tips, that I used in other posts, Thanks, spin,

I use an Intel dlly with a 1.8 intel cel, but the board is made for a p4, But the newer boards are support the HT p4, so when I go up, I will need both,

For now , the intel package with the onboard sound and graphics are very awsome and not near as chopy as an external agp, I can get 128 mgs from my 2gigs of ram, 0verkill right, Naaa.

Intel may not offer all the overclock bs but if you want those high numbers just buy it that way, saves you a ton of probs and money.

Sorry, got off the topics must have got excited ,need a p4 ht combollllll