Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utorrent being slower than Azureus

I used to use Azureus for downloading torrents, but it took up so much memory I switched to Utorrent which seemed promising. However, when downloading a torrent the maximum speed I have been getting is around 20kbps, with Azureus often getting to 200. To test this, I downloaded the same torrent with both clients - Utorrent got up to 26kbps (which took about half an hour to get up to) whereas Azureus climbed to 60kbps after 10 minutes. I am using the same free port that Azureus as well as the same upload speed. Any suggestions?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    LinkS v2.0's Avatar LinkS BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    If you want memory to be idle and download at slow speeds keep using utorrent. If youd like to use your memory and download at high speeds use azureus.
    Mr Angry

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    if u want low memory usage and high speeds, without having a program hogging ur resources, then take time configuring utorrent correctly.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    LinkS v2.0's Avatar LinkS BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    http://www.utorrent.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3539
    nuff said its also funny how the mods deny it
    Mr Angry

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanaman
    I used to use Azureus for downloading torrents, but it took up so much memory I switched to Utorrent which seemed promising. However, when downloading a torrent the maximum speed I have been getting is around 20kbps, with Azureus often getting to 200. To test this, I downloaded the same torrent with both clients - Utorrent got up to 26kbps (which took about half an hour to get up to) whereas Azureus climbed to 60kbps after 10 minutes. I am using the same free port that Azureus as well as the same upload speed. Any suggestions?
    There can also be several factors that affect the speed, e.g your tcp ip registry setting, the half-open connection on win xp sp2, your firewall, your connection to your isp, amount of seeds and leechers, so you cant really boildown to the program. Do you know what i mean?

I am not defending any of the programs just giving you a different viewpoint.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    I've used bot clients and get the same speeds. I don't think UTorrent is slower at all as john said if it's all set up properly the speeds should be the same. however If az is faster for you then use it. too easy.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    uTorrent max out my connection if there is good ratio of Seeders::Leechers....

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    justinius23's Avatar Poster
    i find this topic weird.

download/upload speeds surely depend on how well you set up your client/computer, seeders/leechers and (more importantly) how much you pay your isp for bandwidth

is there really that much of a difference between the two?
    you look like i need a drink....

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by justinius23
    download/upload speeds surely depend on how well you set up your client/computer, seeders/leechers
    exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by justinius23
    is there really that much of a difference between the two?
    no. not speed wise. main differences being azureus is open source, utorrent is closed. az is for many platforms, ut is windows only. and most importantly, az is a java made resource hog, and utorrent pwns u all.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    justinius23's Avatar Poster
    um yeah. i started out with azureus and moved to utorrent so am well aware of the differences between the two clients. i was talking mainly about peoples experiences in regards to speed differences. i suppose i should have made that clearer

personally i didn't notice any change when i made the switch-over.

but you're right, utorrent owns.
    Last edited by justinius23; 07-04-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    you look like i need a drink....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast