Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth my while purchasing a Pool table..?

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Heres what is on offer at this online store which represents a proper store in Tel-Aviv: for 800$, I can buy a fold-up, 8-foot pool table with balls, 2 cues, 2 chalks, a brush for the carpet, and a rest-cue.

Here is a pic of the table:

Here are the details of the table as mentioned on the website (translated):

"Home fold up pool table.
    Made of full wood.
    The tables' legs are connected with a special "plate", giving maximal stability, while connected to metal angles allowing you to fold it up and give stability while open.
    The table has wooden supports that keep the table stable.
    The table itself is made of one plate of thick wood.
    The table has 6 tracks for the balls (after potted), nets, and corners coated with leather.
    The cloth is made of 100% English wool."

Sounds good, should I go for it..?

NOTE: I reposted this in the Drawing Room to get seriouse answers.. doubt I'll be getting that in the Lounge..

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm not sure what's available to you, but here in the USA, I would find a much better table $800.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Looks like a kid's table.

See if any second hand slate bed ones are going. Pubs often get rid of ones that are only a year or so old. I had one like this when I lived with my parents.

I think they paid under a hundred quid for it - mind, this was like 15 or so years ago.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    You got somewhere to put it?

I've no idea about prices, but your own pool table is a beautiful thing. Do it.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Rafi-

If you bought that table, I'd have to come to Israel and thrash you soundly about the head and shoulders.

As manker says, look for something slate and otherwise well-constructed; if a used coin-op bar table can be had for a price that won't bankrupt you, buy that.

Playing on junk will make you hate the game, I promise you.

Actually, you should begin by figuring out what you've got room for...they make 6', 7', 8', and 9' tables, and snooker and billiard tables can go 10'.

Ideally, you'll need about 5 1/2'-6' clearance to the rail all the way around to ensure no obstruction.

Get the biggest thing you can afford that'll fit.

It's the only way to be happy.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Rafi-

If you bought that table, I'd have to come to Israel and thrash you soundly about the head and shoulders.

As manker says, look for something slate and otherwise well-constructed; if a used coin-op bar table can be had for a price that won't bankrupt you, buy that.

Actually, you should begin by figuring out what you've got room for...they make 6', 7', 8', and 9' tables, and snooker and billiard tables can go 10'.

Ideally, you'll need about 5 1/2'-6' clearance to the rail all the way around to ensure no obstruction.

Actually, snooker tables are 12' long

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Rafi-

Actually, snooker tables are 12' long
    Actually, you're right.

I plead brain fart.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    well, they do sell 12' tables, but well expensive..

what do you mean by "something slate and otherwise well constructed"?

are there any of the types of tables you would by available anywhere that would ship to Israel for a reasonable price of up to 800$ tops..?

I have a garden that has room round it.. the reason i considered the foldup one was because you could fold it up and bring it in when done...

hope ya'll can find me something good for a reasonable price.. and about bars/pubs - i wouldn't even know where to start looking, as i do not atted pubs (yet)..

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    You'd have to buy it in Israel. I'd imagine it'd cost nearly $800 just to ship a slate-based table, those things weigh a ton.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Play pool on a table set up in the garden. Good luck getting that true.

Seems a bit of a waste spending $800 on something that you won't be able to use as it was intended - ie with the balls running directly toward the place you aim them.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast