Thread: Magnetic Memory Chip

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    'Magnetic memory' chip unveiled

The microchip business is worth $48 billion (£30 billion) a year
    A microchip which can store information like a hard drive has been unveiled by US company Freescale.
    The chip, called magnetoresistive random-access memory (Mram), maintains data by relying on magnetic properties rather than an electrical charge.

One analyst told the Associated Press news agency that the chip was the most significant development in computer memory for a decade.
    Mram chips could find their way into many different electronic devices.
    The benefit of Mram chips is that they will hold information after power has been switched off.
    Freescale has been producing the four-megabit Mram chips at an Arizona factory for two months to build up levels of stock.
    A number of chip makers have been pursuing the technology for a decade or more, including IBM, but Freescale is the first company to offer a chip with practical usage for many of today's electronic devices.
    'Radically new'
    "This is the most significant memory introduction in this decade," said Will Strauss, an analyst with research firm Forward Concepts.
    "This is radically new technology. People have been dabbling in this for years, but nobody has been able to make it in volume."
    Unlike flash memory, which also can keep data without power, Mram has faster read and write speeds and does not degrade over time.
    Ram chips in most electronic devices, such as PCs, lose data when their power is switched off.
    Currently flash memory is used in portable devices such as MP3 players and for portable storage in the form of small cards that are used in cameras.
    Mram chips could one day be used in PCs to store an operating system, allowing computers to start up faster when switched on.
    Bob Merritt, an analyst with Semico Research, said memory chip manufacturers were seeking technology that will be faster, smaller, cheaper and retain data when the power is off.
    "The older memory technologies are awkward to work with in a mobile computing environment," Mr Merritt said.
    "This is a significant step forward and absolutely critical for moving into the smaller forms that consumers and industry want."
    Freescale has been working on the technology for nearly a decade, said Saied Tehrani, who runs the Austin-based company's Mram programme.
    He said Freescale already had customers, but he declined to name any.

~~~ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5164110.stm

This is interesting

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5164110.stm

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Dedalus^'s Avatar The Truth is Out BT Rep: +3
    Thats very interesting.

However, I thought Hard Drives and Floppy Disks were magnetic as well? So this wouldn't be new technology... and i thought we had RAM so that it would be faster than reading off a hard drive?

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Unlike your two examples, this technology involves no moving parts, so in that respect, it is a significant step forward, and access times should be alot faster.

I wonder though could the data be wiped if you left it too close to a strong magnetic field?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Unlike your two examples, this technology involves no moving parts, so in that respect, it is a significant step forward, and access times should be alot faster.

I wonder though could the data be wiped if you left it too close to a strong magnetic field?
    Like a Floppy disk or magnetic disk I guess yes.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Well if i put this next to my mobile phone, the data would vanish
    The radiation is so high that the TV almost shuts down ROTFL

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'm missing the concept of the whole thing ? It stores data without electricity ?

Sooooooo ?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    I'm missing the concept of the whole thing ? It stores data without electricity ?

Sooooooo ?
    Without moving parts!. The access speed will be close to memory RAM without losing its content when power is removed. Plus, unlike flash media, it will not degrade over time with constant use.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..One example, soon, these revolutionary chips will be able to store a complete OS, (Windows Vista ) that will mean instant boot...No more waiting, and as the capacity of these chips with time increase, then the traditional hard disk will probably become obsolete.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard
    .. and as the capacity of these chips with time increase ..
    Now that would be revolutionary

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    its cool