Thread: Normal 4MB broadband download speeds?

mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    What are the normal download speeds for 4MB cable broadband? I recently got upgraded from 2MB and it seems a little slow. I do that divide by 8 thing and for 2MB it was mostly true. 2048/8 = 256kb/s which is roughly what i got, i usually maxed at about 230. But I did the same thing for 4MB, 4096/8 = 512kb/s, but i never seem to get over 400.

Now i know i'm not gonna exactly always get around 500, but the divide by 8 thing has been pretty accurate for most the speeds i had previously, so i was wondering if around 300 is normal?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Usually a measly 356 upload speed for Ntl/Telewest

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    hey do a speed test and see your connection speed and use a download accelerator like internet downlaod accelerator then u should get the max speed that ur ISP sends u but some times it slows down there must be some tecnical reason that i don't know my speed is 512kbps download so i sould get 64KB when i download but i never get to 60 it stops around 56 max

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    download accelerators usually never work...

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    speed test suck balls...

best way to test out ur download speed is to download off eather newsgroups and see what download speed u get, or get demos, i had to put 3 demos on to download for it to show my overall speed which is 750kbs for my 8mb connection.
    and for testing upload speed set up a webserver and stick on a song or something and ask a friend to download abit of it and ask what speed they get...

or if u got a good router it normaly says what speed ur connected at...

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Na man check this speedcheck one out. It seems to work for me very accurate. Its:-
    speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk

I also have telewest but i use the tiscal servers. Its still accurate and yeah the divide by 8 is really accurate.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    512k/s is your theoretical max - in practise you should be able to hit ~490, but the speed you get is only as good as the server you connect to.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Yeah its totally dependant on the server you connect on and i do hit 500-520 sometimes. Mainly its 450-495.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    Shit, seriously? When i download from a private tracker, which i usually max out my connection with, it did go up to like 430, but not much more. Usually around 380-400