Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this hardrive setup provide extra performance?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Question Mark

I've never used SATA or RAID before, and I only need a good 40GB of space to run faster than my IDE 7200rpm 300GB hardrive does. This is for my current game and video editing projects.

I'm thinking about buying TWO Western Digital Caviar SE WD400JD hardrives...installing them in Raid0. My motherboard already has multiple SATA slots with onboard RAID capability.

Will this setup provide a decent speed increase in read/write times? I've heard Raid0 mode in RAID makes two identical hardrives become ONE. (yes, and I already know that the space will not increase...i.e. 2 40gb drives in RAID will give me 40gb, not 80gb) The performance increase comes from dual pin activity reading those 7200rpm drives at the same time. You would think this would give a nice 50% increase in speed...but I hear it's more around 25-30%.

What are your experiences with RAID?

newegg link to the hardrive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144173

Specifications
    Model
    Brand Western Digital
    Series Caviar SE
    Model WD400JD
    Performance
    Interface Serial ATA150
    Capacity 40GB
    RPM 7200 RPM
    Cache 8MB
    Average Seek Time 8.9ms
    Average Write Time 10.9ms
    Average Latency 4.2ms
    Physical Spec
    Form Factor 3.5"
    Features
    Features Fast
    Cool Running
    Ultra Quiet
    SecureConnect
    Warranty
    Manufacturer Warranty 3-Year
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 07-10-2006 at 05:16 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    2x40GB in RAID0 does create one of 80GB.

You could consider a Western Digital Raptor drive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    2x40GB in RAID0 does create one of 80GB.

You could consider a Western Digital Raptor drive.
    oh ok. thanks for clearing things up.

How much faster are the raptors in Raid0?

I would think that 2x7200rpm drives would output something equivalent to a 14,400 rpm speed single drive?

Two raptors output something equivalent to 20,000 rpm, being 10,000 rpm drives?

Cheapest one is $160... leaving a total of $320. How much faster would 2 10,000rpms be than the 2 7200rpms? I know having two 7200rpm drives "should" give some kind of decent increase in speed still. (dual pins...it just has too)

Heck, if I'd have to spend $320 on that, I might as well go with Gigabytes I-Drive deal with 4gb of Ram to run a RPM-Less data solution. No needles...no hassle, but that battery whichs prevents data loss makes me feel a little odd about safety. A surge might just flash the entire set of data instantly. Still, with that kind of speed...I'd be willing to sacrifice long-term storage and capacity. I normally work on projects in single day time frames and copy my work to a massive 500gb external hardrive.

I would like atleast a good 10-40gb of space so I could play some games with less hardrive lag. I've got a 2.0ghz Althon64, 1gb DDR Ram, 256mb Geforce 7800gt, and a 200gb IDE 7200rpm. No talkie about software tweakie, because that's already taken care of. I customized an entire XP installation disk to allow maximum performance for games. I removed LOTS of extras and have it VERY bare bone. Runs games atleast 30% smoother than they do in my normal installation of XP. Goes to show XP itself causes a slight performance loss in games without advanced removal of all it's preloaded stuff. Defrag, Reg Clean, Update everything, etc...the goods.

Any sources on some good benchmarks for these guys? I figure Toms Hardware will get my vote for now.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 07-10-2006 at 10:16 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Here is a direct comparison between my i-RAM and two 74GB Raptors in RAID0.

The i-RAM is decidedly faster (note the seek times).

Two i-RAMs in RAID would be a sweet setup.
    The speed would not increase as it would for a spindled drive but the 8GB size would be a boon.
    The blazing speed of the i-RAM ( I can defrag the 4GB in under 30 sec.) is actually overshadowed by it's greatest asset- the absolute lack of noise. The RAIDed Raptors can be noisy buggers (especially with Vista's indexing service continually thashing them) while the i-RAM is blissfully silent.
    When nLite is upgraded to work on Vista I'll probably get another i-RAM to run it on.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    So do you just store all the programs that you run alot and stuff on IRAM or what? How do you decide what you store on it?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I run a stripped version of XP Pro on it...currently the 32bit version.
    Vista is too large or I'd cram that on the i-RAM instead.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i_Ram definitely sounds fast.
    Still wondering the real performance gain of combining 2 7200rpms in Raid0 compared to just a single 7200rpm without RAID.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I have two WD raptors, in a raid stripe, the difference from an ide drive that was 7200 rpm's was very noticable.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Just discovered there are SCSI adapters for a PCI slot. How does the Seagate Cheeta 15000rpm compare to Raid0 7200rpm and Raid0 10000rpm drives performance wise? 15000rpm is alotta rotation for home computers.

Also, why is I-Ram so expensive!!! arrgg $500+ just for a decent 4gb of storage! sure is fast though...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Just discovered there are SCSI adapters for a PCI slot. How does the Seagate Cheeta 15000rpm compare to Raid0 7200rpm and Raid0 10000rpm drives performance wise? 15000rpm is alotta rotation for home computers.

Also, why is I-Ram so expensive!!! arrgg $500+ just for a decent 4gb of storage! sure is fast though...
    Stick with SATA.

I-Ram is as fast as its bottleneck. SATA 150.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast