Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car engine oil...

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Yeah, my car was really low on oil and there was nothing close by that I could get some at. The car was supposed to have 5w-30, but all I could find was 5w-20, that won't have any major effect on anything will it?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman
    Yeah, my car was really low on oil and there was nothing close by that I could get some at. The car was supposed to have 5w-30, but all I could find was 5w-20, that won't have any major effect on anything will it?
    No.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    alright, I didn't think so, just wanted to be sure.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Guyver's Avatar FORUM STONER
    ***booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!***

Smith is a bag of douche,FACT.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    If the car is burning oil I would get rid of it, dump it Dude! or sell it on eBay
    It won't pass the emissions test anyway.
    in my old car, I used Happy Shopper veg oil as it was only 39p a litre.
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo
    If the car is burning oil I would get rid of it, dump it Dude! or sell it on eBay

Cheap but hardly effective. Mental note: avoid ever buying one of Buffalo's cars.

Duffman

A top up with a lower viscosity multi-grade oil is not going to alter the price of fish. If you did a complete oil change with the 5w20 oil it would not perform as well in the extremes of heat and cold as the 5w30. However, at your next service it will get the correct oil, non?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Happy Shopper veg oil has an 5w10 effect, with 899 kcal's per 100g
    it's fine for the older car that you are running into the ground, but it may have damaging effects to the engine from heat, so don't go too far.
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo

Cheap but hardly effective. Mental note: avoid ever buying one of Buffalo's cars.

Duffman

A top up with a lower viscosity multi-grade oil is not going to alter the price of fish. If you did a complete oil change with the 5w20 oil it would not perform as well in the extremes of heat and cold as the 5w30. However, at your next service it will get the correct oil, non?
    It will however get a marginally better mileage, due to there being less drag.

So - marginally better mileage (teeny), slightly less protection, mattering not one jot unless you rev it to the red line a lot.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk

Duffman

So - marginally better mileage (teeny), slightly less protection, mattering not one jot unless you rev it to the red line a lot.
    Presumably we are talking about the 5w20 (in which case I think fair comment) and not Buffalo's Spy Crisp and Dry solution which I suspect might be so thin as to prove an interesting challenge for valve rings and seals all round the engine of an elderly car?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. Lounge   -   #10
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk

Presumably we are talking about the 5w20 (in which case I think fair comment) and not Buffalo's Spy Crisp and Dry solution which I suspect might be so thin as to prove an interesting challenge for valve rings and seals all round the engine of an elderly car?

Indeed, the Spry would probably be better to run the engine, not lubricate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast