Thread: How do you protect yourself with BT?

AsuYank213727's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Do you go through proxies? PeerGuardian? Do programs like peer guardian work?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I think they do, if you keep them up-to-date.
    Also, if you can, join those private trackers, they have much smaller pool of users.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    I use a good firewall, PG2 and basicly take the punt that I'm not going ot be the one that gets fucked over.
    But there is no way to be absolutly safe. the powers that be are going to mask their IP's when they bust you so PG is only going to provide limited protection. I agree that using private trackers is the way to go but not because they're safer mainly because they're faster. In the end I think using public and private trackers are both risky...but that's what makes it fun right?

well I supose that and all the free shit

EDIT:
    I don't think using a proxy will provide any protection at all eventualy a peer is going to have to connect to your IP in order for you to download the file...so all using a proxy will do is get you banned from all the good trackers
    Last edited by sear; 07-12-2006 at 08:03 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Its magic baby!
    I gave up on pg2 a while back it blocks stuff you don't want it to, i would only use it if i were a frequent public site user. I guess the invite only sites are probablly alot more secure.
    Wiz.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Kirkedir's Avatar Eagle Hunter BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I use emule's ipfilter with uTorrent and it works great.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    i use pg2 and a good firewall. as for general secutity disable upnp on your router and open ports manualy

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I'm Awesome!
    i got a letter from my isp yesterday for d/l'ng American Psyco DVD, and i use PG2... shows how much that worked...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    TimeRavine's Avatar Time's Ravine BT Rep: +3
    You can set a proxy directly in your bt client so when you connect to other users you're downloading and uploading through that proxy. Usually for that to work well you'll need a really fast proxy server to download at max speeds.