Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newgroup Speeds

ok i have usenet server and i use Grabit. I get about 350-470 for speeds. when i use Newsleecher its even less. How can i maximize my speeds? Whats everyone else downloadin at?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Use another newsserver provider, i use usenetserver and lately there speeds have been going up and down. Also usenetserver provides some tools to configure your end to get best speed possible. So before dropping the provider try the tools they provide may help.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I've been using the ntl server, as I'm on ntl, and live within 5 miles of their server.
    It means i dl at about 1.1m/s!!!!
    It just bounces on my bandwidth limit

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    so what are those tools? on the site?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    You shouldn't need any tools. Just as long as your client is running through an unblocked port.

How fast does your Usenet provider say thier service is? Or do they just promise to max out your connection?

Do you mean 350-470 kB? As in somewhere between 3 to almost 5 mbs?
    How fast of a connection does your internet service say you should have? 3 to 5 mbs seems fairly decent.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Ahnk77

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    visionaryone
    There should be no limit on your account and as long as you have nothing else taking bandwidth you should max your connection. I get around 2,470kb/s constant and i also have no problem with usenetserver, they had a system crash and lost some data but other than that no problems.

Tell us your connection type/speed

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    i got 8mb connection and able to get 700-800kbs, i use newsleecher.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I use newsleecher always get max speed. If you've got a router check that because some of the older ones can't handle the speed (my router would only give me 600-700kbs before I removed it.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    visionaryone
    Quote Originally Posted by teclis
    I use newsleecher always get max speed. If you've got a router check that because some of the older ones can't handle the speed (my router would only give me 600-700kbs before I removed it.
    Most Routers can handles speed way over 100mbit so if your router only goes upto 700kb/s i assume its connected via usb. Usb connections wont handle much over 800kb/s however a CAT5 connection will handle 10mb/s easy. So if you have a usb modem dump it and get a decent router.

just my 2c's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast