Thread: Can anyone fix this? Customer Service Can't...

Ok everytime I try to watch a streaming video the net cuts off forcing me to restart the router for it to work everytime. Router is BEFW11S4 V4 - Firmware Version: 1.52.02. I've updated it many times also had the MTU messed with by Linksys guys many times. I've tried resetting to Factory Defaults. I have Windows Xp. I've also disabled firewalls anti Viruses etc. When I connect directly to the internet it works but to the router it doesn't. Also went to Security and disable Anonymous requests no help at all.
    Last edited by imasoldier; 07-12-2006 at 11:13 AM.
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What firmware version have you tried?
    Do you know what firmware was in it originally?

The latest isn't always best. I had a BEFSR41 that was only stable with it's original firmware. Newer ones made it lockup.

A quick google search found this: http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...e=print&sid=54

If that one doesn't work to your satisfaction then google for more advice from other owners.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I would connect the PC directly to your modem and bypass the router first. Just to see if the problem still occurs. If it does, then you can eliminate your router as the issue.

Frankly, I can't see how a router would be an issue anyways. Afterall, the router doesn't know the difference between video or any other data going through it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    I would connect the PC directly to your modem and bypass the router first. Just to see if the problem still occurs. If it does, then you can eliminate your router as the issue.
    I guess you didn't read this part.
    Ok everytime I try to watch a streaming video the net cuts off forcing me to restart the router for it to work everytime. Router is BEFW11S4 V4 - Firmware Version: 1.52.02. I've updated it many times also had the MTU messed with by Linksys guys many times. I've tried resetting to Factory Defaults. I have Windows Xp. I've also disabled firewalls anti Viruses etc. When I connect directly to the internet it works but to the router it doesn't. Also went to Security and disable Anonymous requests no help at all.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    VirtualBody thanks for the help I solved the problem. Basicly BEFW11S4 V4 Router with the Firmware Version: 1.52.02. Has a well known issue of not working with streaming videos. The cure: Roll back the Driver to 1.50.14. OR, go into Windows Media Player in the network settings uncheck multicast, UDP, TCP. Both have worked for me. Must also be done in other programs that use streaming such as Quick Time, etc. Has to be done on all computers on the network aswell. What makes me mad is Linksys support does not tell us this. Why? I have no clue.
    Systems Specs
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n