Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: I think the conditions in the world right now are favourable to a major war...

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    I sense some really foul vibes in the air, seems to me that everywhere I look in the city where I live people are pissed off and unhappy. Within the past month or so in my city there has been a series of unprovoked random shootings with no apparent motivation. Basically, a person or persons riding around in a car and targeting people at random and shooting them. This is in addition to a guy who is wanted for a string of rapes, still hasn't been found. Yes, these things are local, but look at North Korea, Israel, Taiwan, Lebanon, the cashmir situation, these problems are getting worse. If Lebanon and Syria both joined in a full scale war with Israel, it would probably draw other nations in. I even heard a report on a radio talk show that said there was a chance some enemy groups have managed to smuggle some small scale nuclear devices across the mexican border for what osama thinks of as "American Hiroshima", taking out 3 or 4 major american cities simultaneously. The effect would be crippling, I can't imagine the chaos.

I have been reading the board a little here and there, but I'm on a public connection so I don't have much time if this has been posted elsewhere i apoligize.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    We do have some hotspots, indeed we do.

We're far from the brink, however.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaSlayer
    if this has been posted elsewhere i apoligize
    I very much doubt it has.

Sure, there are bad situations in the world, there always are - but there is also bright sides, if you care to look.

For example, the biggest sporting event in the world has just gone off without a (terrorist) hitch - which is something that harbingers of doom such as yourself never thought possible
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    i was born a pessimist don't pick on me

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    if this has been posted elsewhere i apoligize

Sure, there are bad situations in the world, there always are - but there is also bright sides, if you care to look.

For example, the biggest sporting event in the world has just gone off without a (terrorist) hitch - which is something that harbingers of doom such as yourself never thought possible
    Unfortunatly the good news does not make a story ... so rarely gets reported.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Unfortunatly the good news does not make a story ... so rarely gets reported.
    Indeed.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I sense some really foul vibes in the air, seems to me that everywhere I look in the city where I live people are pissed off and unhappy. Within the past month or so in my city there has been a series of unprovoked random shootings with no apparent motivation. Basically, a person or persons riding around in a car and targeting people at random and shooting them. This is in addition to a guy who is wanted for a string of rapes, still hasn't been found. Yes, these things are local, but look at North Korea, Israel, Taiwan, Lebanon, the cashmir situation, these problems are getting worse. If Lebanon and Syria both joined in a full scale war with Israel, it would probably draw other nations in. I even heard a report on a radio talk show that said there was a chance some enemy groups have managed to smuggle some small scale nuclear devices across the mexican border for what osama thinks of as "American Hiroshima", taking out 3 or 4 major american cities simultaneously. The effect would be crippling, I can't imagine the chaos.

I have been reading the board a little here and there, but I'm on a public connection so I don't have much time if this has been posted elsewhere i apoligize.
    I agree, in fact I think we've already started..

A higher demand for resources and less resources available to fulfill that demand... thats one of the main reasons for any war, be it due to population pressure, in order to pull out of economic recession, or try and keep an economy running.

The other main reason is Religion.

It appears, on the face of it, that both these reasons appear to be converging at the moment.

As the Oil Peak has now passed, and just about every Developed Nation now has an Oil Based economy and with the Developing Nations gaining Oil Based Economies... there just wont be the Oil Available to fulfill the demand within just a few short years. 2/3 of the known untapped reserves are within the area of the OPEC countries.

These countries are all Islamic. The fundamentalists point to the interferance within the Region, together with the Israel/Palestine problem, and declare that its all an attack against Islam and start bombing the hell out of everyone.

This has actually brought about the very thing it wasn't to start with, as Muslims in just about every other countries are now looked upon with suspicion by the authorities and public and there's been an increase of "Race Hate" attacks upon them. ie: The Religious element is now in place too.

The "War" started with the invasion of Afganistan (a 1500 mile pipeline going through the country was the 1st thing agreed after the fall of the Taliban, something they'd refused to do, signing this agreement took priority over "democratic Governance"), although some look at Iraq as the start of the conflict. The Iraq invasion was sparked, in part, by their decision to sell Oil in Euro's.. damaging the Economic Interests of the US. (Notice again, selling Iraq's Oil in Dollars again took priority over rebuilding that Nation or Introducing Democracy).

Iran could well be next, as its the 2nd Largest OPEC producer.

If they decide to withhold Oil in retaliation if Israel attacks Syria on a large scale, continue with their Uranium Enrichment program, or decide to sell Oil in Euro's.. then the US will invade, its as simple as that.

The Uranium Enrichment Program excuse is ironic, as Iran is a member of the non-proliferation treaty and allows inspections of its Nuclear Facilities... something that Israel isnt and doesnt. This fact wont be missed by the Fundamentalists...

However an argument could also point out that the entire "Cold War" was actually fought between the US and USSR through proxy countries, and that there is a war of some sort being fought every day somewhere.....

......so I'm assuming you are only referring to direct Military Action on a large scale by "developed" countries..
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 07-15-2006 at 10:08 AM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    a world war when the internets exist would just be wierd

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    ......so I'm assuming you are only referring to direct Military Action on a large scale by "developed" countries..
    This should clear things up a bit-

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's Hizbollah, which claims links to the Lebanese group of the same name, said on Tuesday it stood ready to attack Israeli and U.S. interests worldwide.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have 2,000 volunteers who have registered since last year," said Iranian Hizbollah's spokesman Mojtaba Bigdeli, speaking by telephone from the central seminary city of Qom.

"They have been trained and they can become fully armed. We are ready to dispatch them to every corner of the world to jeopardise Israel and America's interests. We are only waiting for the Supreme Leader's green light to take action. If America wants to ignite World War Three ... we welcome it," he said.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    kewl.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast