Thread: F-ing lightning and power outages

lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    the power has gone out here like 4 times now and its start to piss me off. my computer has been restarted more in the past 2 hours than it has in the past 2 weeks.

anyone ever have to deal with this bullshit?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    is it in your house only or neighbours too?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Get a UPS

4. Lounge   -   #4
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    the power has gone out here like 4 times now and its start to piss me off. my computer has been restarted more in the past 2 hours than it has in the past 2 weeks.

anyone ever have to deal with this bullshit?
    Yeah, it does that here when we get a good storm. I usually just shut down while it's going.

Weird that you should mention it, last week we got a real doozy of a lightning storm and lightning hit a transformer down the street from my friends place. Everyone within 5 houses of the transformer had massive power surges, TVs blowing, telephones melting... well my friend's computer wouldn't boot back up afterwards. Her motherboard was fried (I would have thought it would kill the power supply if anything), so I replaced her motherboard. Here's the weird part - it also toasted her CPU fan. The CPU and heatsink are fine, just the fan. It still spins, but not well, it's almost like it's been magnetized or something.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Actually what you notice is normal...most fans feel like that if you turn them by hand you should feel a magnetic resistance...

6. Lounge   -   #6
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Yeah, but the resistance is about twice what it should be. Of course no one anywhere around here has that size fan, I have to order the stupid thing online and wait for delivery. Two computer shops in town and none of them carry a cpu fan for a socket 478.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Aww last year was awful for me! It went off about 10 times in a row, each time having just enough time in ebtween for me to get my hopes up, turn on the pc, and wait for my game to load. ! Was pure evil

8. Lounge   -   #8
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    glad to know i'm not the only one that has to deal with it. i was chatting with people like 30 miles away from me and their power went out at the same times mine did. at least we were offline for about the same times.

a ups isn't a bad idea. i'd have to move my modem & switch next to my computer then too so my internet would keep working while my computer is up aswell. phone lines still work when the power goes out right, so my dsl still would i hope too.

my parents unplug everything though. their mobo got fried once too when a bolt hit out in our front yard. last night it wasn't even close to worry about that tho. just had to keep powerin 'er back up.