Thread: Linux usenet?

Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I recently received my Ubuntu Linux CD's in the mail, and I was wondering if there were any newsreaders that supported a linux environment? I was looking through the Ubuntu live CD that allows you to view the OS without actually installing it, at the price of slower operating speeds, and I concluded that it would be a very nice OS to try out. Though I don't want to dump everything at the moment if my current programs won't be supported.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    sorry to say there is no decent graphical binary newsreaders for linux at the moment.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    To be honest from what i've been informed about linux from my friends that have previoulsy used it is that many software aren't actually made for linux. I've just been told this and if you want to prove me wrong be my guest. After all we aren't all perfect. Still prefer windows xp anyday.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well I won't get into the debate of why Linux is preferable, but a lot of programs now days have builds specifically for linux, as well as the windows environment. However, there are as you say alot of programs that still don't support it. Linux is open source, and as such freeware. Can't guarentee to make money by contracting to an open source OS...

BTW: @ TorrentGuy, Thanks for the link! That KLibido looks awesome! It even allows you to preview articles that are being downloaded, and GSpot codec confirm them. Kinda like the avipreview for K-lite, back in the day.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I stand corrected that klibido program does look pretty cool. Im gonna have a test of it a bit latter and see how good it is.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    KLibido looks really good, if I ever start using linux I will try this program.
    Last edited by torrentguy; 05-03-2006 at 02:56 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Im having a piss about with klibido now and it is still a little bit buggy. you cant view the group as it downloads, that gspot view is actually just a jpeg you cant use it to check what your downloading. gspot doesn't even work in linux.
    It has the abilty to open pics and text which is pretty cool but there is no nzb creation available though.

needs more developement but the last post on its site was back 2 march so doesnt seem to be much going on.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    _john_i_
    I really like Pan. I've been using it for years. It took me a little while to warm up to it, but now it's the only newsreader I really like. The new beta version even supports nzb's.

http://pan.rebelbase.com

I tried klibido a once, but didn't really like it. It's a really good reader too, but I just didn't feel as comfortable as I am with pan's familiar interface.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Try sabnzbd. This is by far my favourite, better than most windows readers too.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbd/