Thread: windows stopped loading, stop error

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I'm getting the stop error

0x0000007B (0x81f9cd90, 0xc0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    INNACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

I have windows 2000 pro.

I was trying to load Nero, Utorrent was checking a file (which I stopped), and I was using Internet explorer. The PC crashed. Tried to close some programs till I heard a beep and everything on the screen froze. restarted the PC manually, and now recieve this error everytime I try to boot.

help me guys, I got too much stuff on there that I need to backup (my other backups aren't recent enough). fuck i wish i backed up more regularly and with a schedule

what about a livecd of somesort? any idea which distro I should use and how to use it? first of all i want to back up files, then try and restore.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    This may help your diagnostics.

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7b

I remember getting something similar on win2000, and it was related to Roxio directcd software (part of which is distributed with Win2k), and it's interaction with Nero's InCD package. In that case it said that the problem was in cdr4_2k.sys. Check to see if a driver is mentioned on the stop screen.

If it is a filter like cdr4_2k, you should be able to disable it from the recovery console (get to the recovery console with your W2K install disk and type "disable drivername". I can't remember thether you have to add or drop the ".sys", for example if the screen says the problem is in cdr4_2k.sys you would type "disable cdr4_2k", if the message says the problem is in cdr4_2k you would type "disable cdr4_2k.sys".
    Last edited by lynx; 08-08-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    where do i do all this, i can't get to any command prompt. as soon as it goes to the stop screen, i am forced to restart because theres nothign i can do. Someoen i know is going to upload an erd disk for me, so it might help

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Have you tried safemode?
    If you get into safemode you can uninstall nero or whatever you think might be causing the problem.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Its fixed now, I got an ERD, loaded it, didn't even do anything, but i was forced to shutdown anyway because I had somewhere else to be. When I rebooted, it was working again for no reason, even though I tried restarted about 4 times before using hte ERD anyway.

I couldn't access safe mode before either.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Simply booting with the ERD and shutting down properly can resolve some problems.

A word of warning though, an ERD is specific to a particular system and using one from someone else's system can totally screw things up. Good job you didn't get chance to use it any further.

Make your own ERD and keep it safe.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    As a note to your problem, MaximumPC Magazine just had an error section this month and for the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE it listed wrong jumpers (no), Boot sector Virus (I'd check) or incorrect IDE drivers (I don't think so). So except for the possibilty that somehow a boot sector virus came in thru UTorrent while it was checking a file I think you should be OK. Especially if you mean by checking a file, it was going from 0%-100%, checking a file that had stopped earlier. When a program does this (same as unzipping or scanning a file) it can trigger a virus attack. Don't assume you don't have one, check it out right away. Better safe than sorry.